How to: Care for a Malu Sebae Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Boywithafishtan, Jul 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello everybody,

This is boywithafishtank, and today i wanted to make a quick little guide on how to feed and care for Malu Sebaes, since there has been alot of discussion around this topic. I've had my Malu Sebae for a half year now, and its doing great. Great white coloration, with blue/purple tips. The white Malu Sebae is unfortunately very unknown in the hobby, and whenever you show them to people, they will say that the Sebae is unhealthy. This is not true. It is true however, that a normal sebae should be brownish, where as the white Malu Sebae is white, and should stay that way. When this anemone begins to bleach, its gonna turn grey, almost clear.

Characteristics:
    - White coloration with Blue/Purple tips (Comes in other varieties too)
    - Usually short tentacles (Some species do have long tentacles)
    - Their amazing symbiotic relationship with Clarkii Clownfish
    - Stays around the sand bed
    - Very circular disc compared to other anemones

Feeding:
    The feeding on this anemone can be quite hard to start with. Its not always that this anemone will eat right away. A way to make them eat in the start, is to give them a Clarkii clownfish. The Clarkii clownfish is a beautiful species of clowns, that can reach bigger sizes. They are usually not very picky with anemones, and will jump right into any anemone that they see. However, sebaes are their favorite. The Clarkii clownfish will make sure that the sebae will eat well, and stay healthy. Once you have had this anemone for a week, it will likely accept most of the food that you offer. Shrimp like table shrimp and cocktail shrimp will work great. However, you have to seperate and rinse the shrimp. I usually take one shrimp, and cut it into 4 or 5 different pieces. Then i'll feed the anemone with one at a time with a tweezer. Place the shrimp near the mouth, or the tentacles around the mouth, to let the sebae catch it. It will slowly devour it. I usually feed mine 2 small pieces of cocktail shrimp every week. Mysis can work great too. Blow some mysis shrimp into the sebaes mouth, or the tentacles around that area. The sebae will eat them quickly. A good idea is to actually dip the mysis in some garlic, vitamins and marine oils, to give the sebae good health. A good product that i've used for a long time is Fauna Marin Ultra Food Energizer. This energizer works fantastic!

Requirements/Care Information:
    A sebae often tends to be very stressed by bad water parameters. This can be almost anything: Changes in salinity, changes to temperature, changes to pH or alkalinity and high nitrate/nitrite/ammonia levels. This is why you have to keep your water parameters spot on. I keep mine in a 20 gallon nano reef, and i've never had any problems with water parameters, which has damaged the anemone in any way. And i started with this anemone when i was a beginner! Also, remember to have a Clarkii clownfish. They can go without them, but they do like having their company. They help them eat, and they even clean them too! And always remember to keep ALL corals away from this anemone, since it kills everything. Its sting is VERY strong, and it even kills ALL aiptasia in its way.

So thats my guide on the Malu Sebae Anemone. I hope that you've enjoyed reading this, and that you might have learned something new. Thanks for reading!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013