How to calibrate floating hydrometer ??

Discussion in 'Salt' started by minajaguar, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

if i have RO water where SG must = 1.000
    so if hydometer reads = 1.001
    so i will subtract 0.001 for my salty sample ???????
    (all at same temperature )

2. Click Here!

3. sneaton

sneaton Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

you need to get a calibrated refractometer, pinpoint sells a 1.026 solution that you can use.....if you want to use the hydro just use a freshly calibrated refract to test the same water to remember how far the hydro was off(if it is)

4. sneaton

sneaton Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

also never calibrate using ro water

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

A floating hydrometer should NEVER need calibration. If you have one that is off it has to be a pretty cheap floating hydrometer.
    I've already posted the correct way to use one in your other thread.
    The only things I didn't write were that of course it needs to be kept clean because any deposits on the glass can affect the results. Also, you do have to be careful as just in moving it around, sometimes just light contact with something solid will bread it.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Unfortunately, not all hydrometers are suitably accurate.In addition to such calibration issues, however, is the significant problem of temperature effects on hydrometers.The two types of hydrometers are different in some important aspects. The most important of these differences is that swing arm hydrometers do not usually require any corrections for temperature effects over the range normally used by aquarists, while standard hydrometers often do.Randy Holmes Farley

Heres a good link about Hydrometers and salinity.

Temperature Corrections for Hydrometers by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com