how should i have my miracle mud in my refugium?

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Chrisj408, Jul 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chrisj408

Chrisj408 Astrea Snail

BTW, how old is your fuge?[/QUOTE]

its about 9-10 months, a little less older than my DT, its been up for a year this month :)

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I'm gonna defer to Crimson Ghost on this one, he has far more direct experiance with the mixed substrates than I do:)

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Cheato does best in fast moving water, Caulerpa prefers slow moving water….you gots urself a mismatch. I follow the tangster 10/10 rule for years and years now. Fuge should be 10% of your DT and the flow should be 10% per hour.

I am not a fan of 24/7 lighting – reverse photo is the way to go. Remember, you are attempting to copy nature in order to help your tiny ocean – so let there be night. Korilia 1 in your refugium ? oh boy….ok wait. A refugium is a slow growing swamp – its not a raging river. I perk about 20 gallons per hour through my fuge, with a reverse photo period which assists keeping my PH level night and day. That’s it – I don’t poke at the fuge, I don’t remove the sand (ever), I never stir the water…..and it does what its suppose to do.

Do water changes with the house water.

My nitrates are undetectable. But its more than my fuge – I use RO/DI, I do not overfeed (hell, I only feed once a month if I remember at all – it’s a reef, they can eat off of it !)

I have several macro’s in the fuge, I trim the tops of the Caulerpa and feed it to my tangs from time to time – other than that I let it be.

5. Chrisj408

Chrisj408 Astrea Snail

have you actually used this method? has it worked for you?

6. Crimson Ghost

Its not so much a problem with mixing the substrate and it is with disturbing what he already has built.

As for the mud, it has more organisms than sand and it’s a good way to get the benefits of the sump going faster. I personally don’t know if the mud does more if its together vs. mixed – perhaps it’s a bit more dense and promotes more/different growth of organisms. I just don’t know. But I do know that disturbing the fuge would set it back to square one and could even spike the nitrates in doing so.

7. Chrisj408

Chrisj408 Astrea Snail

well you see, if i dont have any flow in their, all the detrius settles on the macro, and it starts to die. or what would you recomend i do?

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Are you asking me about Tangsters rule? Yes I do.

I have a 180 gallon reef that's about 12 years old, my refugium is 20 gallons (in the middle where the growth is) and I run 20 gallons per hour – works like a charm !

10. Chrisj408

Chrisj408 Astrea Snail

sorry i meant the vodka method.

11. Crimson Ghost

huh? it shouldn't - is your fuge separate from your sump or are we talking an all in one ?

The detritus should collect in section one since the water is moving slowly. But I suspect you are using a sump and trying to convert it to a refugium….you will have troubles doing this. Can you post a pic of what you have ?

There are so many inexpensive ways this forum can help you – so lets take a giant step back and see what you have first.

I am thinking of a coil denitrater – I’ll even donate a pump to your cause if you require. All you will need is a hose and a valve. I am about to head off to a meeting today (I am at work – damn taxes !) Search this site for “coil denitrater” if I am botching the spelling – try coil and nitrates and you will get to it. We could also move your refugium to a 5 gallon bucket – many options my friend, but first things first….please take a pic or thoroughly describe what you have there.

12. Crimson Ghost

No, and I wouldn’t - but I might if I didn’t have funds at the ready. My ozinator crapped out yesterday after years of service. So I logged onto Marinedepot and ordered up a $500 replacement (including a new probe) – but if I couldn’t spend money like a drunken sailor, yes – I would try something like this after I put a lot of research into it.

But honestly, I would try a coil denitater first.