???How should i breed feeder shrimp/fish?????

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by harrison, May 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. harrison

harrison Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

im going to have 1-3 leaf scorpions and 1 or 2 waspfish/stingfish and i know that they can be terribly difficult to get to eat frozen especially the leaf fish. :angry::angry::angry:

I want to start up a 10-15 gallon freshwater to breed ghost shrimp and or mollies/guppies. which do you recommend and which can keep a stable population?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. harrison

How am i supposed to breed these guys?
    are there any special requirements.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

mollies will breed like rabbits. I would get a group of mollies and acclimate them into saltwater. They seem to breed faster in saltwater. Petsmart and Petco employees actually know which is male and female. I would start with 3 pair.

Put some plastic plants and other things for the babies to hide and that is really all you need to do. Very easy.

As far as ghost shrimp, I think it is basically the same thing.....just ensure there are hiding places.

We are getting ready to start breeding our own mollies and shrimp for our angler........he will not eat frozen and it cost a lot to keep these things fed.

5. harrison

ok cool thankyou!
    so which is more nutricious and beneficial for the fish's health?
    and what is the smallest recommended tank for this?

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

neither really have a ton of nutrition for fish.........you will need to gut load the fish/shrimp prior to feeding the fish and this will help. This means you will have to feed high quality food to them and make sure they have a diet rich in HUFA and fatty acids.

if possible, I would start setting up the tank before you get your leaf/scorpions. This way you can ensure that the fish you are feeding are very healthy.

Again I would acclimate both the shrimp and the mollies to saltwater. The mollies are not that hard to acclimate, the shrimp takes a little longer but still easy to do.

For a 10-15gallon tank you could easily do 3 pairs of mollies and start with 50 ghost shrimp. The shrimp have a fairly short lifespan, so you will loose a bunch. You can actually see the eggs in the females stomach

7. harrison

oh ok thanks.
    im going to transfer the leaf scorpions over to frozen but i have no idea how long that entitles. So ghost shrimp and mollies can live in the same tank???
    Thats great! how often should i do water changes because ive heard that they need perfect water to breed is this true?

Id also really rather to just keep them in fresh water with a little salt because saltwater changes can get timeconsuming. ive never done them before but i plan on mixing it 1 day in advance.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

it depends on your filtration in the tank. You will need to do frequent water changes, as there are quite a bit of waste being produced but plan on couple a week (small changes) In freshwater, you are going to be lacking a lot of the natural biological filtration. I would add the stock slowly also

The other thing with freshwater tanks is that ich can spread rather fast, so inspect the fish before you get it. I had finally got my breeding stock up, and the last set must have had ich because right after i added them, they all got ich and died rather fast! That is why i suggest establishing the tank early, so you can monitor your feeders and not feed any unhealthy fish.

I have had Froggy my angler now for I guess 3 months. He shows NO DESIRE what-so-ever to frozen food. Right after I got him, i tried a piece of frozen krill and he took it right away. However, he reminded me of a baby just learning to eat......he made a face and spit it out and swam away. Now he runs when he sees frozen :(