How old of a tank for SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by FishThumb, Aug 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

Good to know for the flow, I was thinking of adding more powerheads. The LFS I buy from uses nothing but tap water and all their tanks look amazing, but I will ask them what they treat the water with before it goes into the tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

If you dont have an RODI system, please please please stop buying coral for a few weeks and spend the $130 for an RODI system. SPS will not be happy until you do.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

The problem is, your tank is (hopefully) being used to grow corals for many years; the one's at your LFS are not. Depending on the actual pollutants in the source water, it may take a long time for them to build to toxic levels in the corals.

FWIW, RO/DI filtration was developed because very, very few could keep corals long-term in tap water. Some couldn't keep a SW aquarium at all. As far as treatment goes, I would not recommend it. That's just more chemicals to which your corals are not accustomed, and they don't really remove anything. If a successful reef tank came in a bottle of snake oil, everybody would have one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013