How often do you do Water Changes?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by oceanparadise1, Sep 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How often and how much do you change your water?

1. Every week

33.6%
  2. bi-weekly

26.5%
  3. once a month

21.2%
  4. every other month

6.2%
  5. every 6 months

3.5%
  6. once a year

1.8%
  7. NEVER

8.8%
  8. 10% change

20.4%
  9. 15% change

14.2%
  10. 20% change

8.0%
  11. 25% change

4.4%
  12. more then 25%

0.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

my SPS tank gets seldom water changes. I mean, yeah im doing about 5-7g a month but its a 55g DT with about 10g in sump/fuge so its not much. Only thing I dislike is the fact my tri color acro isnt getting the PE i want anymore but I'm pretty sure that a flow thing.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Same here

First, SoStoudt, I want to clarify, I don't think anyone is saying they "don't do *any* WC's". Just very very little.

I dose Alk/Ca daily. I dose Mg about every 4-5 weeks. I test those three about once a month at this point (they are rock solid stable). I also test pH with a pen and SG with a refractometer.

About every 6 months I test nitrates and phosphates, but these have been 0 for about 2 years now, so I rarely test them.

My reef consists of almost 40 separate corals. The breakdown is something like
    17 LPS
    14 SPS
    15 softies

Here is an incomplete list of corals I have:

1. chalice
    2. yellow star polyps
    3. Armor of God Zoa
    4. Tropic Zoa
    5. Purple Zoa
    6. Acan
    7. rock anemone x3
    8. Duncan
    9. Dendro
    10. Purple Blasto
    11. Red Blasto
    12. Lousetta Acro
    13. Purple Acro
    14. Purple pocillopora
    15. Green Trumpets
    16. Red Trumpets
    17. Frogspawn
    18. Purple Hammerhead x2
    19. Mushrooms x8
    20. Ricordia
    21. Soft Tubed Feather Dusters x3
    22. Trachyphyllia Brain
    23. Kenya Tree
    24. Green Birdsnest
    25. Bubble
    26. GSP
    27. Anthelia
    28. Crocea Clam
    Here is a "before and after" thread I did in May of 2009 and a few updates in August of 2010. You can see some growth here.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/now-then-pics-65484.html

Here is a FTS
    [​IMG]

I agree with Steve. The trace elements are the only reason I bother to WC even once a year. Nobody really tests these regularly. I am far from convinced that all your trace elements are used up in a week.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

peredhil your GSP project is really coming along!

5. ozzychas

ozzychas Plankton

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I think that's why it's important that your change water has the same chemistry and that it has a chance to mix for at least 24 hours. You will have problems if you don't do this. I usually let it mix for a few days. I switched to Red Sea Coral Pro because it has the chemistry that I want for my LPS tank. All I have to do is dose to maintain the same chemistry as the mix, then when it's water change time, it's good to go. The water stays crystal clear, and there is a positive response from the corals.

I do a 90 gallon change once a month. 50 gallons from the reef goes into the fish tanks, then 50 gallons fresh into the reef, and 40 gallons fresh for the fish.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I don't have the time or space to start mixing my water 24 hours in advance. When I do water changes it is spur of the moment. I make sure my salinity, temp, and pH are the same and I dump the water in my sump. No matter what, I feel that your fresh water and the tank water will never be the same params anyway. Do you dose Mg, Ca, Sr, moly-whatever-it-is, and other elements to the DT before the change? If so, I thinks that is a waste. You might as well just add trace elements and hold off on the water change.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I don't dose what I can't test for. Besides temp and salinity, I'm mainly concerned about Ca and Alkalinity. The Mag in Red Sea Pro is good where it is. Because it's LPS, I have not had to dose Ca, and I just monitor Alk during the month.

Fortunately, I have a whole basement to work with. I fill a 100 gallon Rubbermaid with RO, let it warm up, add salt, let it sit and mix, then test. I know the water will never be exact, but since I started doing it this way, I have had far fewer problems.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

FWIW, I mix my water months and months in advance... I keep two 5 gallon buckets ready to go just in case of emergency... When I eventually do my one a year WC, I use it from these buckets.

I always pull them out of storage and add a PH and heater at least 24 hours ahead of time though, just as good practice.

So, to all the "does water go bad" questions... no. Not if it's sealed.

11. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

I do the very same thing as you, but prolly around 10g of new water every week

12. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

On my 90g I do a 15-20gal water change every other month. I have a nitrate filter so my nitrates stay pretty low (5-10ppm) and all I have is clover polyps and zoas for corals so the water doesn't need to be perfect. The nitrate filter (aquaripure) does a wonderful job tho.