How often do you change your carbon?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How often do you change your carbon?

1. Once a week.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Every 2 weeks.

8.3%
  3. 3 weeks.

12.5%
  4. 4 weeks.

50.0%
  5. >4

4.2%
  6. I don't use carbon.

25.0%
  1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I started using Purigen in my Phosban reactor. Aside from the stray bits in my sump it is very effective

J

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Jason,

I like Purigen as well. (not the price though)

Matt,

I have a 75 gallon tank with an attached 200g sump/coral growout tank. I never leave it in longer than 2 weeks and I basically use a handfull. I don't want so much in the mesh bag that I end up with Carbon that is not directly exposed to the water.

BTW....if I frag any softies, I put another bag of Carbon in for 1 or 2 days.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Curtis. Do you use a reactor for it like the phosban reactor? What brand of carbon are you using?

@Jason - I forgot about Purigen since you told me about it last. I'll try to remember to look at that next time I am in the store.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I do have a phosban reactor but I put phosban in it. For those of you who want to add this in the future....please phase it in and don't go from no Phosphate adsorber to full-bore Phosphate adsorber in one day. Your corals will have a hissy-fit.

Back to the question. I basically use an el-cheapo filter bag for Carbon and run it passively. I have links to a study that proves that you don't need to run Carbon actively but they are broken so that's why I didn't include them in my post. :( I'll try to find that study on other web pages.

I'm always reluctant to name brand names. However, you asked directly. I'm currently using Black Diamond by Marineland and occassionally Purigen by Seachem. If you look at the study done by Richard Harker on my previous links, they are pretty high up on the list in terms of effectiveness.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for all the good info Curtis.. good thread!

7. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The price of purigen is much cheaper than replacing carbon every week. I have three and keep one soaking in bleach and 2 in the fluval and replace one at a time about every other week. I spent $15 for the three and I will never have to replace again. JMHO

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Great point.

BTW, are you the same Geoxman that is a member of SEASL (Saltwater Enthusiasts of St. Louis)?