How NOT to set up your first reef tank.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by GeejEx, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Great reply and very true.

2. Click Here!

3. salty

salty Plankton

wow! Thanks for the info im just starting to understand what i wil be going thru to set my tank up this helps tons.

4. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Thanks for posting this!

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Good Write up. we all make mistakes, but not all of us will admit it :)

J

6. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

Its a quite unfortunate story to say the least. But im sure you've learned alot more than you could have even bargened for. I too wanted a tank so i got a 29 gallon biocube. I had it set up with LS for about 4 days and then got 7lbs of rock. I didnt even know about cycling or anything. I got snails soon after to accomodate the algae growth, and finally i got a fish about two weeks into it. About couple days later i got about 8 more lbs liverock. Then a maroon clown and anenome. I placed about 2 lbs live rock in the aquarium every week for about a month after that. I also started getting corals about the third or fourth week. I have spent about 1500 in the first 3 months. I have learnt soo much now and i feel like an idiot for doing anything i did. The only thing i dont understand is that my entire aquarium is THRIVING, im not even kidding and I dont understand how. I mean, i did everything wrong pretty much but everything seems to be right. Im going to upgrade to a 75 real soon to meet the needs of my exceeded bioload, which i currently am doing 20% water changes a week. Im for sure going to invest in an RO/DI unit ASAP as not only are my fishing thirsty, but clean water for me is a bonus too.
    I did everything wrong but everything is going well; im confused.

7. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You have no idea how much I enjoyed reading this! Not that I enjoyed hearing of your trials and tribulations, but it was well put! And I'm so sorry about the hassle! Good luck and keep trying!!

_chi_

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I'm sure everyone has their own little "learning experiences" that they could add. Great post and good job on actually learning and sticking with it.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Couldn't have said it better

11. Alcapown

Alcapown Plankton

Wonderful read, much appreciated, I took a lot from your trials and tribulations and I believe it has better prepared me for the journey ahead, thank you and good luck!

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Great post!!! Karma for you.. I feel your pain. I pretty much did the same when I first started..

1 person likes this.