How NOT to set up your first reef tank.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by GeejEx, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Great post!! I'm starting a new salt tank here shortly. Thanks for sharing your log and experiences. Good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

I'm REALLY new to the hobby. Like, I don't even have an aquarium yet. However, I've cleaned up the space, read up, and saved up, and am ready to get going.

I wanna get a 70 gallon tank. What is the best one? I think I'll go with glass. It has to go in a stand with canopy because it's going in the living room and I need to stay married. It there a brand that is better than the others?

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Welcome Dave!! For the money, I'd get a 90. All Glass is a good brand. If you're going to go reef, get a pre-drilled reef-ready tank. These have overflows built in.

Make sure you keep us updated with pics, or guys like Luna will have your head. Trust me, it's not pretty.

Ask any questions you have here! This is the world's best reference for marine reefkeeping!!

Good luck!!! :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

I see Oceanic has a reef ready 90 gal. It's even got Starfire glass on the front. It's 48 inches, and I could fit that in the living room. They make stands and canopies, too, so that's a plus. Are they a good brand?

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

welcome to the addiction dave, FYI i would check your local craigslist to see if they have any used tanks available...there sure are a TON where im at ;D

7. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

Hey, now I get it. All Glass is the brand name. Duh. OK, I'm going to their website.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Oceanic is a fine manufacturer too. That's the one I have.

10. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

Good advice about craiglist. I'm going to see a 90 gal. Oceanic this weekend.

11. vavra6

vavra6 Astrea Snail

yeah thanks for the advice :)

12. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

I have just one comment that I think should be added to this forum as a side topic, and that is "Where" not to set up your fish tank.

I have seen many people leave the hobby because they set up thier first tank in a room that nobody uses unless they want to look at the new fish tank. Huge mistake IMO. Its always the same story, tank looks great for a few months, people are excited to see the new additions and its all down hill from there. After the initial excitement wears off, maintenance of the tanks starts to suffer and since no one uses that room anyway who cares? After a year or so the tank looks awful and ultimately its taken down.

I am a firm believer that your new tank should be placed in a prominent place in the house where it will be in clear view every day. Not only will you spent much more time enjoying your new tank, because it is something everyone will be spending time next to every day; you will be much more likely to properly maintain it!

Just my two cents... take it for what is worth :)