How NOT to set up your first reef tank.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by GeejEx, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefkeeper

Reefkeeper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think , By trusting what the lfs guy told me ,being a newbie and all and not knowing about 3reef.com where there are people that's been doing this for years, ready to help you in just about anything you need to know before making the mistakes that are so costly, is what I am finding out myself now .I told my wife " No ,really this is all I need It's a complete set -up" ,The guy said I'm good to go and droped 7 bills on the counter and walked out" She's never going to let me live this down , I'll have to change most of the stuff I have now .A new light , RO/DI, UVs, Filter and which one? PSkimmer ?She's going to kill me when she finds out!!! ,I just hope it fit's in the dog house, cause that where I'll be when I tell her ,I think I,ll wait til the snow's gone . The biggest mistake I made was rushing into it and and trusting someone who just wants me to keep coming back for more.I'll take the slow train from now on! and ask Q.

'

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I rejoined the salt water hobby after a 15-year hiatus. Didn't go slow, didn't have a plan, didn't do enough research. After losing a dozen fish and hundreds of dollars, I found 3Reef and other online sources. I'm still making mistakes, but not as frequently!

1 person likes this.
  4. chalmies19832002

chalmies19832002 Flamingo Tongue

Good article I am new and have done the same thing without the bad experiences "KNOCK ON WOOD" I have the same tank and would like some tips on what to do with it. It has a full eclipse hood, I removed the bio wheel and did a retro fit light kit with power compacts and I dont want to get rid of the hood because of the retro fit kit. Can anyone help.

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

What do you need help with?

1 person likes this.
  6. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

I'm so glad my kids were grown up BEFORE I got 'nemos'. GeejEx, your willingness to share what went wrong is fantastic, it's a big man to do this! It took me 4 years to get a tank, but I struggled with a lot of what you did. Where to start, who to trust, what do I buy? (I'm still struggling, sifting out all the crap) All this and more. Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

7. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

I would have gone back to blue gill fishing. Please keep us posted!

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

That was a great thread. Come to think of it, he hasn't been around for a while.

10. Tangs4me

Tangs4me Plankton

Hello, Thanks so much for your insight!! I am a newbie here, and getting ready to get my feet wet(lack of something better) and reading this was a nice refreshing eye opener!! Thanks so much, GeejEx!!!!!

11. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

I wish you the best

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Thank you for that post. It reminds me of my experience 15 years ago. I killed many, many fish. The LFS always knew I would be back soon. And I agree with Smitty, get a larger aquarium if space will allow. My 75 is the biggest I can get with the space available in my house. My dream would be a 200+.

Rock on dude. And thank you again for that post. It made my day. John.