How NOT to set up your first reef tank.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by GeejEx, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

By the way... my tank was born on 1/3 and I turned my 1st light on today... as Matt says "go slow and let it grow!"

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

if thats not falling off the horse and getting back on, then i dont know what is. and at least you learned from your mistakes. sorry to hear that happen, but happy reefinn' mann...:pimp2: i still find my self getting antsy

4. sjk2840

sjk2840 Plankton

Wow, loved that fish story-I had a 125 SW tank about 8 yrs. ago. I moved and had no wall long enough with out windows for my tank-(bye-bye fish ) So last month I decided to take my sons 10 gallon fish tank and turn it into a small SW tank. I had the hood, lights, filter and a heater. Figured it would be "cheap" enough to get a 10 gal. started-no such thing as "cheap". By the time I bought salt, crushed coral, decorations, test kits, fish food, a damsel, siphon hose, bucket for water changes and a fish net, I figured I was into this for around $200.00 or so. BUT I dont regret it-I'm ready to jump into a much larger tank now, it's only been a month since I set up my 10 gal. (it's cycling) -I love this hobby.

5. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

yea, if my mom hadn't already had a saltwater tank...(back in the dark ages, before protein skimmers and LFS's..), i would have made alot more mistakes than I already have. It is a learning process :)

It bothers me that more LFS's don't bother to ask people how long they've had their tanks or what kind of lights they have before selling them anemones. i think it would prevent alot of unnecessary anemone carnage.

Oh, and I definitely recommend the newest edition of Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies...could not have done it without it! :)

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

When was the last time you had anyone at a LFS tell you to cycle the tank for at least 6 weeks, go slow and add only one fish at a time? It's amazing that there are any success stories at all.
    I for one am glad for the internet and 3Reef. :)
    Books just don't give much feedback ;)

Jim

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

My LFS did :D Thats why they get all the money invested in tank ;)

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

To bad geejex , i feel your pain' I have gone down your road on a much larger scale and pocket book and discovered if i'd had paitence , the wallet wouldint have felt the "burn" so badly .

To bad Karma don't translate for you in real $ for ya' ,but you sure deserve it .
    I of course probably deserve the "karma dunce award" ( for aquarium retards ) if you knew what i had done in the begining , lol

10. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

I started asking questions almost a year ago and still have not got my tank.... Am I going slow enough? LOL Man, I think my tank is going to do very well! :)

11. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

I think a combination of sources is always best; for example, ideally you know someone with a tank, have a good and knowledgeable LFS, find a forum like 3reef, and also a good book can't hurt either (you know, in case you want to look something up and your internet isn't working..also alot less tedious.). That way you can make sure you're getting the best answers and options.

I don't know what I would do without an online forum to ask questions (so much good info!)...helps me waste a minute or two if I have nothing to do :)

1 person likes this.
  12. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

This post is noted for my little project !!! SLOW .... !!!

1 person likes this.