How much mechanical filtration

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Midnight_Madman, Nov 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Agreed, on my system, I only use filter socks/bags when I stir up alot of detritus in the water.

I don't like them overflowing when full, constantly needed cleaning, etc.

No foam here for me either. Most modern style systems don't use 'mechanical' like foam, etc.
    But I have a LOT of LR and a LOT of Macroalgae, and a smaller, good skimmer.

Like the vinn meister said, find the balance that works for your system.
    I think all too often, people don't get to the point of finding that balance, or near it anyways-
    and quit the hobby.

timkatz71 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

try to run without it, if you are able to stay clear you win... if not use what you have and as you change it try different micron size, may keep you from having to change so often.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I still prefer socks. I'm sorry but if you take the time to do your maintenance on your tank with your water changes there is nothing that will "rot" in the socks. When I see the gunk that collects in the filter socks I think that could be inside my tank rotting away. I've never had a problem with them and I just disagree but you have to be strict on maintenance but aren't we supposed to do that already?

Todd_Sails likes this.
  5. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

I do run them also, I don't vacation much at all, but also run business from my home and have employees that I can have change when I am away, as a couple of them are familiar with doing this. Getting into a habit of tank maintenance and good housekeeping is tough but pays off long term.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Its a tricky balance.Remember most of the stuff floating around is food for something and most things are less toxic after they have passed through some creatures digestive system.I have never vacuumed my substrate and have been sockless for about 3 years now.Can't say I miss them.:)

DSC reef likes this.