How much is too much?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by tsmo, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tsmo

tsmo Plankton

Hello Reefers,

New to the hobby, Salt anyhow, I was curious to know how much is too much when it comes to adding corals. I've currently got a 20 gallon tank with a handful of frags... A xenia, a frogspawn, a button polyp, 5 zoa frags and a star polyp frag and lastly a small sps. So.. how much is too much? These are all little guys right now and I'm looking forward to seeing everything grow. I just dont want to over do it. Im probably set now and wont be adding anything more other than better equipment as I can afford it. Do I have too much?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I don't think corals contribute much as far as bioload. The considerations for keeping a variety of corals in a small tank is whether or not they're going to damage each other chemically or physically.

Keep the frogspawn away from the other corals unless they're euphyllias (torch, hammer). As for everything else, just space them out as best you can and experiment with placement.

Good luck!

4. tsmo

tsmo Plankton

Thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to know, what kinda load it would put on the tank. The frogspawn is at the bottom in the sand, all the other plugs are on top of the rock.

now to watch them grow :)

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just use carbon and a good skimmer As Sparky said corals create little bioload so keep as many corals as you want and have room for in there just allow enough room so they don't touch one another.