How much have Radions improved?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Blarghensplargh, Jul 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blarghensplargh

Blarghensplargh Astrea Snail

For those who started with or otherwise have experience with gen 1 Radions and now are using either gen 1 or 2 Radions, how much do you think the minor chanes in LED configuration, especially the addition of the UV LEDs has improved the performance of the fixture? The reason I ask is because I'm currently using the gen 1 and am considering purchasing the upgrade kit. My biggest issue is how controversial the benefits of UV light are. Some claim that UV light is useless for photosynthesis and that it can actually harm the corals while others say that after using UVs their corals started to display colors that weren't there before, and overall benefitted the health of the tank. From looking at spectrum graphs of metal halides and many T5s a lot of aquarium lighting seems to have a fairly large spike in the low 400 nm range, which I feel is there for a reason. Are 4 UV LEDs worth a $150 upgrade kit?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It makes perfect sense that uv helps with coral coloration as the pigments produced are a sort of sunscreen for the coral.Bump for you.:)

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Don't know but I got a build myLED strip with 405 nm LEDs. It's worth having just for the crazy glow.

5. Blarghensplargh

6. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I built my LEDs my selfand added uv leds. Over the past few weeks I've noticed color loss and slowed growth. I went over the usually check marks.(all water params). But one day while kneeling down in front of the tank looking up I noticed my uv LEDS where out. Probably explains my changes. But we will see ( I just replaced the burned out LEDs)

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

the difference between g1 and pros is quite a lot. At least if you are into LPS. They do not morph rainbows to red/orange blobs the way most LED fixtures do.

10. Blarghensplargh

This is definitely something I'd look into if I had a canopy. The way the tank is set up the top is very open and there is no place to mount extra LEDs.

11. Blarghensplargh

It's funny you bring that up because this is almost the exact reason I asked this question. I got a lord acan recently which even after being in a box for 24 hours was a nice bright red with grey rims and within two weeks it became a bright orange with bluish/greenish rims. Reading up on red LPS corals losing color it seems like a lot of people have this problem. And the only difference between the gen 1s and the pros is the addition of violet and yellow LEDs, along with a couple royal blue LEDs, right? Since I really doubt 2 yellow LEDs makes much difference when used along side white and red LEDs most of difference has to be in the UVs?

ingtar_shinowa likes this.
  12. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

It is important to have full spectrum, but at what cost an extra $100 on an already expensive unit.

A hanging canopy could work [​IMG]