How much extra would you pay to have your water pumped?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by inwall75, Oct 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How much extra would you pay to have your water pumped for you?

1. 5 Cents More

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. 10 Cents More

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. None Extra...your employees should have to do this no matter how busy they are

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Leave the price the same and make customers pump their own water from now on

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Hrm. Think of it this way. You're the only LFS in the world. No internet retailers, no big chains, no eBay. Does it matter if you're "good", "bad" or "great"? No. People will buy from you regardless if they're in the hobby, since there is no other choice.

Now, imagine you have a second retailer 50 miles away. That retailer, and you, both have a 100% grade in the eyes of Random Joe. The other store does one thing wrong, and moves down to an 80%. Now, it doesn't matter whether you call it "them moving down" or "us moving up". You're now perceived as better than the other store, while before you were equal. The other store is now lesser, while before they were equal.

The dynamics of this get more complex as there become more retailers, and internet retailers, ebay, etc. make this even more complex, but it's absolutely a relative term, both between individual retailers and to the individual perspective the situation is seen from.

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

In the city I'm in, there are more than a few 'decent' LFS stores... even PETCO is decent every now and then, though I don't want to admit it. I was told by one store that there are 12 marine/ reef fish stores within 50 miles... kind of hard to believe, I know, but I can count at least Five I frequent, and there are more just outside of my radius that I wouldn't drive that far to get to.

The more any one store does something wrong, it certainly gives me no reason to be loyal to them. So far, I have my likes and dislikes with each store, so I frequent them all.

I am a very DIY type of person, so if there was a sign that read:

"Self service H20. You can pour your own water, and for the courtesy of other customers and staff, please be careful and not leave a mess. If you would prefer one of us to pour your water, please let one of our expert staff know, and we will be happy to do it for you."

I would pour my own water. I think many people would. If they want some help, you have to be willing to help them and provide service with a smile.

I'm spending a lot of money in a reef store, if you give me a reason to, I WILL walk out and spend none. But I think that a polite sign will alleviate some of your concern without raising prices or forcing customers to do something they feel is not their job to do.

4. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

The LFS I go to has two tanks, RO/DI, and Saltwater, each tank has its own plastic gas station style pump handle. Both are clearly labeled.

If you need water use the correct pump handle and pump it yourself.
    just like self-serve gas station.

I have never seen them pump water for anyone.

5. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

you can't have two prices for the same water.
    everyone will say "you sell it to him for this price, I want it for the same price"

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

None,IMO your there for a reason, if i come in i should not have to lift a finger as its your job.....this may sound mean but you dont go to macdonalds and expect to make your own burger

7. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

I would pay the extra 10 cents if it was the only place in town. Or if they had a huge selection of fish that i could look at while waiting.

8. Click Here!

9. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

Charging for testing water would piss off a lot of your customers. It would be like a gas station charging you to check the air pressure in your tires!

I think everyone should be able to test their own water, however, I have taken water to the LFS for tests I did not yet have a test kit for.
    Had they tried to charge me for it, I would have found a new LFS.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Wow. In St. Louis if you asked a gas station to check your air, you would get laughed at so hard. Ummmm, not gonna happen. Heck, quite a few stations charge money for the air to refill you tires after you check the air pressure your own darn self. (In economic terms, that's called "inflation"). ;D

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If all the stores did it in my area did it, that would be one thing. If only one store did it, I honestly would not go there when I needed water. Mind you, I don't need water very often.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Do you expect to pump your own gas at a gas station?

I don't, but I live in one of the two states with a legal mandate that customers don't pump their own gas, and very, very hefty fines for the station if a customer is seen even touching the pump.

If I went anywhere else, I would expect to pump my own gas, just like I would expect to fill my own jugs with RODI and SW. But that's just me.