How much did your protein skimmer cost?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, May 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How much did your protein skimmer cost?

1. $0 - $200

88 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. $200 - $300

48 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. $300 - $500

34 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. $500 - $700

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. $700 - $1000

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. > $1000

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I paid $550 for my BK mini 160. I thinks it's a bargin. Every hobby is the same. The sky is the limit what you want to pay.

Money will always buy a better product with better materials and craftsmanship. I will say though that money does not always by better performance. There is always the law of diminishing returns.

Personally, I love buying high end stuff used. Best of both worlds for me.

2. Click Here!

3. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I paid about $150 for the Octopus NW-110. I'm extremely pleased. It took a while to get the settings just right, but now it's humming along nicely. I also liked the small footprint. I had a used Berlin, which was huge and took up way too much space in my sump.

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I'll agree with you up to a certain point on the first two paragraphs and am 1000% with you on the third statement. ;D Luna

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Seriously, BK would never be considered in my searches. A local used it for 6 months them got a 180 instead. It was like new and I didn't pay shipping. Had to do it. And yes, it is very nice. It is not expensive just because of the name, you can tell it's because of the build.

It does not take much to throw together the best materials and equipment with all the bells ad whistles and charge a premium. I have more respect for those that can offer a reliable well built product with good features at an affordable price.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am loving this thread! Great info.

That will do it! I had the same problem from just salt creep in the venturi. Definitely worth cleaning now and then. Glad it is working better now.

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I have 2 corallife's for my 85g and my 75g and they work great for a $100+ skimmer, but my euro skimmer on my 265 was bought with tank, and it works good also.

8. Click Here!

9. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I paid around $150 for my AquaC Urchin (the in-sump version of a Remora) powered by a Maxi-jet 900. I have used this skimmer non-stop for about a two years and I couldn't be happier with it. Low maintainence, quite, and super consistant. What else can you ask for?? The only downside is I have to empty the collection cup every five days....... Is that a bad thing?? lol Anyway, I recommend this setup for anyone with a nano that has room for it in their sump.

10. z.vernon

z.vernon Bristle Worm

i paid 120.00 for my CURRENT recirculating protein skimmer. It wasnt very good, so i put a needle wheel impeller on it... works like a charm now. :)

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Amen!

[SCROLL]Luna;D[/SCROLL]

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I feel I always have to justify the expense of my Skimmer. the fact is I was offered a deal I could not pass up. When you run a 400G system that is dominated with SPS you need a big good skimmer. Once you get up the volume I have just about every skimmer come in at that price. Take a look at Deltec, H&S, Euro Reef and any of the other top performance skimmers you will find the Bubble king isn't over priced

1 person likes this.