How much did your protein skimmer cost?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, May 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How much did your protein skimmer cost?

1. $0 - $200

88 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. $200 - $300

48 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. $300 - $500

34 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. $500 - $700

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. $700 - $1000

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. > $1000

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, it could just be me. But when I first put it together, it didn't work at all. Directions said nothing. Had to get onto UTube. Thank God there was a tutorial online. So I dialed it in the best I could and went with it. It likes to lose siphon, doesn't collect very much at all, needs constant tinkering......I am thinking AquaC Remora Pro on this little 10g. That'll work!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

The CPR backpack skimmer works ok on a 10 gallon, but on a 55 gallon.... not so much.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: What gives it away? The caked up salt creep or the algae all over the glass?

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I was looking at the Aqualife new skimmer for my nano. I hear they work well...however the person I was talking to said it needs some mods to it to make it great. I know someone who has it on their 24g and has no problems. I am supposed to get it today or tomorrow. Has been ordered for me for the last month or so.

My hydor is working soooo much better today. The place that I normally buy my stuff from (NOT ANYMORE) has a tendency to sell used stuff as new. I am wondering if this one was used when I got it and the snail shell was partially in the pump from begining? Cause today I have bubbles all the way up to the lower cup edge..where since the begining I was complaining that I could not even get it up to the lower part of the neck and the neck is fairly long. The store replaced the pump for me immediately that goes into the sump, but we never did anything with the pump that creates the bubbles. I already have more skimmate in my cup since last night then I have had in the last couple weeks.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thank you for fessing up.:hehe:

This comment is in no way to criticize anyone who has or is going to buy a $1000-$8000 skimmer, but I just cannot conceive spending that amount of money on a skimmer. What makes that skimmer worth that amount of money??? Is it made out of Gold???? I just cant conceive it.

I bought a AquaC EV 180 with a Magdrive 7 and a John Quest fitting, shipped for $400.00 And for me, that was WAY too much money. Even thou I can see the difference in materials, craftsmanship and quality, it just seems alot of money.

I assume that Jason paid those $2200 for his skimmer b/c he was so reluctant to disclose his information, having said that, I guess if you can, why not?

[SCROLL]Luna;D[/SCROLL]

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The economy is the reason why EVERYTHING is coming down in price. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Always been curious about the coralife. Maybe I'll try that on the nano.....

10. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

lol... I was laughing at this comment until I saw you weren't joking. Dude, that's alot!

I've heard nothing but great comments from people who have cone skimmers. My wholesaler has one on his counter for ero's new one and it was $500, I cringe like Luna cuz I can't fathum coming out of pocket with that kinda bread.

lol...

Totally agree with this whole comment... I feel the same way.

I have an AquaC Urchin. I got it off an old accounts 220g and it's on my 55g right now. I get skimmate but I really don't have to clean it but every other week. I don't over-feed my tank though... Maybe if I come accross a cheap or free cone or recirculating skimmer I'll get it. But for me free was a great price!

11. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

I have some sort of needle wheel contraption, came free with the free stocked and established tank (bonus!!!) but I don't think it works very well so I think I'd choose the Coralife 125 next for my 75

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

+1000

5' euro-reef with 4 rc sp5 pumps rated for 500-750 gallons