How Many Use Additives?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Wrassman, Apr 10, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey all,

Ever since I began using the ECO-Aqualizer, I have been watching things more closely in my tank.  Watching the fish, watching the protein skimmer, watching the corals, and of course, watching the shrimp and crabs.

But, I've also been watching some of the "intangibles" in the tank.  Stuff I havent' watched very closely in the past.  And I must say, I have discovered some interesting information -- some of it on my own; and some of it through reading the observations of others.

So, in order to share this information, as well as gather more information for all of us, I want to run some polls, and ask you to comment on a few questions that I'll be asking.

And the first one is: "How many of you use calcium additives in your tank?"

After you answer the poll, why don't you post a short response about the brand of calcium you use, and what you expect to get out of it.  What do you think the calcium does for the tank?

I will be popping in and out of the thread, and at the end of the thread, I will share some interesting info from Dr.Ron and others.

Thanks for taking the poll and we will look at the results, together!!

2. Click Here!

3. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

I use daily ESV Bionics. I dose 60 ml of each in the morning. I also dose 1 x a week ESV Potassium Iodide 1% solution. I would also use 2x week DT'S. Bionics seem to keep my calcium and alk at the right levels. Using ESV and my ecosystem, my fish and corals are doing great. :)

4. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I'm the same as Steve, we are twins, hehe, except I don't use DT's...
    I have noticed better Coraline grown with the B-Ionics then Natureef, mor colorfull...

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i like the seachem stuff started using it and just stuck with it

6. Wrassman

[glow=Pink, 2, 60%]I am going to let my poll run one week -- until the 17th. If you haven't taken the time to place your vote, please do so; I am writing an article on Ca and I would like as much info as I can get.[/glow]​

[glow=Red, 2, 60%]For those of you brave enough to be running your tank with NO Ca additive, I have added a selection for you now.[/glow]​

[glow=Blue, 3, 60%]TIA for your responses!!![/glow]​
    [smiley=balloon3.gif] [smiley=balloon2.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=lol.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=wave.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]​

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I drip Julian Sprungs - Two Little Fishies Kalkwasser daily in my top off water. This is what I have noticed since using it:

• Improved coraline algae and coral growth
    • Little or no cyanobacteria growth
    • Less green PITA algae growth and greater water clarity
    • CA stays stable at 500 ppm

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

Just a note to remind you that the poll is over on the 17th.  Only 7 people so far have taken it.  I KNOW more than that use a calcium additive. ;D

10. privateer

privateer Plankton

I have been using Kent kalwasser. I use the drip method,daily ,as make up water. The tank is still youn, my ca is running about 440.

11. Wrassman

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]So, we got 8 votes, and 8 people said they use a Ca additive of some sort. That is 100% of those who responded. I expected that; I didn't expect the low number of responses.

The purpose of the poll was to lead into a Product Review that I am preparing to do this week involving several Seachem Products. Of couse, Seachem Reef Calcium is one of the Products, but there are several others.

I will be drawing information from here, and from an article by Dr. Ron Shimek, "What We Put In The Water." I will provide a working link to the article so you can read it yourself. It is quite interesting.
    [/glow]

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Wrass,
    In a couple of post you have written you have mentioned additives that are "bio-availability model"
    I'm wondering if you would be so kind as to point me in the direction of the manufacturer and some reading material on the subject.

Thanks in advance
    J
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]