how many GPH for return pump - NEW question please read post #39

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow - AZ this is way over my head :) Can you come to Cincinnati and build my sump for me?

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I think what AZ is getting at here (AZ, correct me if I'm wrong) is something like this picture. I didn't use a true union ball valve; after seeing this thread, I kinda wish I had.

Note 1, there is a small piece of PVC glued in here that you cannot see that connects the threaded piece to the barbed end pieces.

Note 2, this is where a true union ball valve would be nice. Then you can just unscrew your ball valve and can make maintenance or taking it apart easier.

So, just picture that barbed fitting gluing right into the end pieces of the true union ball valve, then you just slap on the flexible tubing onto the barbed end and head one end of the tubing to your return pump and the other end to up to your bulkhead in the back of your tank. That would eliminate the extra PVC pieces that I had to use in my picture.

I hope this helps...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. oldfishkeeper

A picture is worth a thousand words :) yes, that does help a lot! Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures zesty!

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Don't mention it! Had I not made this a couple weeks ago, I would have not been any help here! haha!

I'm a visual person too, sometimes it just doesn't click until it's right infront of my peepers.

:)

6. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

7. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I ended up getting a significantly larger pump than I needed for my setup, which is pretty similar to yours. A 60 gal tank with a 55 gal sump that is about half full. I went with an Eheim 1260 which is rated for 10x my DT volume (640 GPH).

I had read that restricting the water pressure out of a pump can have detrimental effects over time as it's not operating at its optimal conditions. The pressure from not allowing all the water to be pumped can wear out shafts, impellors etc.

So rather than attempt to restrict the pressure on the pump I added some additional outlets for the water. If I let my pump go full blast the overflow system can't keep up with the flow and my DT overflows.

I used a 4 way PVC connector to divert water to my DT, my fuge and to my overflow compartment from my DT and the fourth being the supply from the pump.

Here's an overhead shot of my return plumbing.
    [​IMG]

Top is the part that returns to my DT. This ball valve is wide open.
    Left is to my fuge. I have a ball valve on here to keep the pressure at a good steady flow, not too hard, but enough to turn over the water several times an hour.
    Right is to my overflow from the DT. Here is the part that I adjusted to control flow to the DT.

Once I got the water to my fuge at the pressure I wanted I opened up both valves all the way. Then I gradually closed down the ball valve to the overflow area to get the pressure to the DT at a rate that worked best for my return plumbing. This allows the pump to work full blast all the time and keeps a great water flow through my sump and fuge as well to my DT. I haven't measured the flow from my DT but speculate it's at about 300-400 GPH, which is a good turn over for a 60 gal tank. I also have 2 MP10s to keep water flow in the DT very active.

One additional note on this pump set up. IT does allow me to go to a larger tank while still keeping the same pump and plumbing or if I want to go with a larger pump in the aforementioned scenario I can accommodate this accordingly.

Heres an Imgur album with my set up and sump space.

8. Click Here!

9. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

No damage will happen to the pump if valved back and it will actually decrease the power usage by doing so, its a law of fluid dynamics

10. oldfishkeeper

This is what several people have said. Some have indicated that dialing it back can actually increase its longevity as well.

11. oldfishkeeper

12. tgp4274

tgp4274 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thats 568 at 0 height. you want like 500 at like 4 ft.