How many Biopellets do I need to Add?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Foreverfishy, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Question, I need some clarification as to how many biopellets I need to add to my Nextreef SMR1 reactor. (will post pictures of this)

I purchased NP biopellets and their instructions stated 50-200ml for every 100L which would equal to about 5 cups for my 125 gal tank (not including my sump)...That seems like a lot.

So trying to do a little more research, I went to BRS website and it states: Add one cup of BRS Bio Pellets per 50 gallons of system water volume to the reactor. For example a 100 gallon tank would use 2 cups of BRS Bio Pellets.

So I figure 3 cups would be enough. I know there is no exact science to this though i would like to know if there is a general rule to this.

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i use ecobak and it calls for 500ml for 100 gallons.

4. Foreverfishy

Thanks Say, I also saw that. I will probably need to buy more now since that is how much i bought.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

DONT start at full strength. I have talked to many who have had issues with starting at full dose. When we started our I put only 1/4 of the amount in the reactor and a week later added an additional 1/4 so on until full strenght

6. Foreverfishy

grr...to late, right now i dont have corals so will there still be the same affect? Right now there is 500ml of pellets in. Since there are, what options to do I have? I.E. put it on a timer and intermittently run it?

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

It should be ok.........are your pellets flowing pretty freely in the reactor? Make sure all the pellets are bubbling in the reactor

8. Click Here!

9. Foreverfishy

Thanks for the quick reply schackmel. They are running freely now. Earlier on (430ish EST)the biopellets were clumped up at the top though I took my fist and bumped the side of the reactor and down they went. Yes the pellets are flowing freely.