How Long In The Hobby??????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by baugherb, Jan 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Off and on with FW for 35 yrs or so. Probably 10 years total with about 5 years planted tanks. SW for 5 years with reef for 2 years.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I've been doing freshwater since I can remember off and on. Started as just a little kid, so about 25 years lol. Only been serious about it for about 15 years. I started getting into saltwater back in 2000 when a good friend of mine back then showed me their tank lol. That lasted about 6 months until my relationship at the time ended and I had to leave my tank. I started back up in saltwater this past February and Freshwater about 3 years ago now.

I have learned so much from 3reef members over the past 4 months that its not even funny. This has got to be the best forum out there!

4. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

First 10g FW tank was when I was 8 (37 years ago).

First SW tank was a 20g long with an UG filter when I was about 12.

Moved up to a 55g SW tank in college.

Got a 200g Oceanic Reef tank when I left college and moved to Florida in 1990.

Been falling deeper into the addiction ever since.

5. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

10 years ago my wife wanted a beta fish. We picked one up and a one gallon tank. Then I added a 5 gallon two weeks later in the bathroom. A month later a 10 gallon in th bedroom. Within the first year we had two 55 gallons in the living room. There wasn't a room in the apartment without a tank :). 6 months ago was when I got into salt. I was always nervous about it. So now we just have the 55 gallon fresh and my 75 gallon salt in progress

6. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

well i set up my first tank when i was 12, and now im 16. so that would be 4 years off salt ex for me

7. Taylormrt

Taylormrt Astrea Snail

Got my first fresh In 1979 went salt in 93 so at least 33 yrs would love to do a full reef but my job has me gone 28 days at a time and other half not the best at taking care of tank other then hopefully feeding and topping off sump still love every it and still learn new things all the time

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Coffin Worm

Coffin Worm Astrea Snail

New to aquariums and forums. I started my first saltwater tank(29) 3 months ago. I have always been interested and appreciated saltwater fish. After having our first child I decided it was time to start my first tank. I needed something to keep me busy since we were spending more time at home. I'm having tons of fun with my tank and have received a lot of help and good advice along the way. My son also likes to sit and watch the tank with me.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

4 years in october, hopefully i can keep going for 50 more hehehehe

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

1st freshwater tank when i was 12.
    1st reef tank when i was 18.
    ive had a few tanks along the way.
    in order from oldest to newest
    10g
    35g
    40g