How Long In The Hobby??????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by baugherb, Jan 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Many tanks were fish only or FOWLR I believe. I had Fish Only tanks in the 90's as I entered the salt water hobby. The hobby didn't have the knowledge or the technology and understanding that they have today IMO. You were considered a genius to have a reef. The lighting had a lot to do with it etc etc.

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

This thread has been around longer than my first tank. Haha. I started freshwater about a year and half ago, and salt about 8 months ago. Been progressing pretty fast it seems.

4. bherbst

bherbst Astrea Snail

16 years fresh, 4 months salt

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

FW tanks, all my life, as far back as I can remember... didn't really get good at it until my cichlid tanks and a couple tropical tanks I set up for other people...

I decided to go all SW and figured out that I wanted a reef in 2000... it was difficult to get into at the time... there wasn't nearly as much accessible information that there is now... I remember when Randy-Holmes Farley first started posting about reef chemistry on forums; already being a chemist, he was figuring out reefing as he went along and taught us all a LOT... it was about that same time that the information online was starting to teach hobbyists faster than the information you could get at a LFS.

I remember going into the main LFS in Atlanta (now closed....hmm wonder why) and them saying things like "you can't do that... where did you hear that?? the internet?" They hated the internet because it was starting to expose their secrets and become a source of competition. If only they had got their heads out of their own butts to realize that there was still much to be learned in the hobby, maybe they could have stayed around...

I think that information (AKA the internet) has become our greatest resource, not technology in equipment; the technology for reefs has been there all along (though we may not have had T5's and high watt LED's there were always other lights that could be used)... it's the knowledge and understanding of how to use it best that has advanced the hobby, IMO.

6. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

ive beeng doing it for 50 YEARS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha na ive only been doing SALT for around 8 months

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I thought you might find this article interesting

8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i set up my first and only saltwater tank 8 months ago.

10. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

Fresh about 12 years, salt a little over a year.

11. miracle

miracle Astrea Snail

Originally Posted by banthonyb71 [​IMG]
    I mwondering for those with decades of experience, how long has Marine Tanks been around? Before t5's and LEDs how where corals kept? Where they successful? I imagine tanks decades ago where FOWLR?

When we started our first marine tank in the late 80's we were told by our LFS that it was going to be very hard to maintain and we would probably fail. We had only a few fish and the anemone. The anemone lived several years for us. I am shocked today that it lived so long in it's conditions back then when we didn't know any better.

Thinking back now we only had a standard light fixture normally used for a FW tank. The only thing we tested for was PH and Salinity. I do remember we bought a few very pricey live rocks from our LFS but I don't ever remembering having growth like coraline algea. I am sure our calcium and magnesium levels were very low since we never tested for them either. All we used to filter the tank was canister filters with carbon.

12. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp