How long does it normally take for kenya trees to startdropping?(UPDATED!!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Zoanthids21, Feb 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Well, i have kenya and i bought a small 2" inch frag two years ago. It was my first coral EVER. I still have it and i am in the beginner stage of a forest. I kinda like the idea too! haha Great minds think a like! I think mine is about 5", maybe 6" but very wide base. It drops 3 a week. yea, its crazy. But every time it drops one, i put it in a little 5" by 5" area so i can grow a tiny forest and still keep it under controlled. Are you looking for like "growing out of the top" crazy or just the "kenya flooded the tank" look? haha LOL

2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

I wanted the same thing with pulsing xenia but failed. haha! Hate that stuff! All it does is die!

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Those are 2 of my favs as well,give it time you'll have plenty!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you really really want to spread it around, just take a sharp pair of clean scissors and cut the tops off and it will float around the tank until it attaches and voula you have a kenya forest in a couple months.

1 person likes this.
  6. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

all in good time..

I have to trim back branches and pluck out lil upstarts regularly now.

1 person likes this.
  7. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I can do that in the tank? i have like 3 pairs of scissors for fragging, so im good there ;) haha, but how big of a piece should i cut off? should i do it in the tank? should i do it with flow on or no flow?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yep, I do it no problem. They just float around until they attach to something. Or you can attach them to pieces of rubble or plugs with fishing line or similar method. I currently have 6 pieces that I was going to remove that I got just that way.

10. aquariaman

I shuve them into small cracks. haha Just shuve till they stay in there! When i get my new camera in a few days i will show you how i do it! I have only cut my kenya once cause it was growing into my green cap. It worked out fine too! :) The floating method works too. Just personal opinion.

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

+1,very hardy coral.It'll take foot where ever it can grab ahold.

12. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Cool, so i can cut under water? and just let it fly into the sea? ahaha ;)

And also, does it matter where i cut the kenya tree? like can i cut the branches? or what? an dhow close to the main stock?