How long do you have to wait to feed a new fish

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I will also offer food right away. Not a lot, just a small amount to see if they will take it and also to give my other fish something to occupy them while the new one gets used to their new surroundings.

Its also a good idea to make sure you see them eat while you are at the fish store (any good lfs will have food on hand to give to them for just this reason) and take your time and really watch them to make sure you are picking the healthy ones.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok. i'll be going to the lfs in a little bit. I just hope they have them in stock, they don't have the biggest fish selection, so i will either get them tonight, or saturday or sunday from the not so local fish store. But the two b and w clowns that i saw in one of their tanks last weekend seemed to be healthy, active, and were checking out the frags, since they had them in their frag tank with a couple other fish

4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

when ever u buy a fish from a store make sure they are eating, ask them to feed the fish in front of you

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

totally the same for me, I like to pre occupy the existing fish and sometimes the new fish joins in the feeding straight out of the bag
    which gives a great feeling of job well done on the acclimitisation and in fact the conditions in you tank.

same deal when a new coral starts to expand and open on the day you introduce it.

Steve

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I agree with the instant feeding attempt idea. It's pretty much trial and error in finding when your fish will eat. After introducing the fish into the tank, try a little bit of food. If it eats it right away, you're safe putting more food in there to give the little guy a meal. If the fish doesn't go after the food, you'll just have to try again in a few hours, and keep trying until he takes food.

We fed our fish 10 or so minutes after we acclimated our 6 line, and he joined the fray instantly. As Steve said, it sure is a good feeling when that happens.

Good luck with the fish search! Your tank sould be fine for clowns. They are in the damsel family after all, and damsels are known to survive anything short of a nuclear explosion. Your tank is close to the stage ours was when we introduced our clown pair, so you should be fine.

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I have the guys at my lfs feed the fish there befour I buy just to make sure that the fish is eating. After I put it in the dt I wait about a day befour I feed.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

this is what i do. obviously some feed instantly and some wait... clearly it's not that big a decision... I prefer keeping the lights off to lower stress.

+1 always do this.

BTW - is your ammonia still holding at .25?

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Yea it's still at .25 I did a water change this morning I'll check readings again tonight