How long did you wait to add corals???

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Jul 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

So I was going through the net planning on my future corals and I thought, I wonder how long everyone else waited before they added a coral to their tank?

How long did your patience make it?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

since you're going to keep mainly softies - I would think you could start adding coral if your tank is cycled.

Mr. Bill, Swisswiss and DSC reef like this.
  4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I'm happy I won't have to wait for a long time.

5. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Ya, after I cycled I dropped in a couple of clowns and then a few weeks later I added a bunch of corals. I went slow with a toadstool, mushrooms, zoos. Got braver a few weeks after that and threw in a torch and a trumpet.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Softies like zoas etc pretty forgiving. Hold off the SPS - just asking for trouble. People say 6 months or more and there is a reason. You want good Coraline Algae growing before you attempt SPS

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Great. Thanks.

I have always been drawn to softies and LPS so thats great for me.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

my first tank I waited a month or two after the cycle. This time round as soon as my cycle finished, I threw in some acan frags, two montipora frags, a green slimer frag, an Oregon tort frag, and a rose
    Bubble tip.

Those four acan frags all have 20+ heads now and all the SPS and anemone are doing fine.

I felt confident enough after a couple years with my first tank to be able to do that. Not advising anyone to do it, but just saying once the cycle is done, anything is fair game if you can provide stability and appropriate lighting.

Piano10 and Mr. Bill like this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am a coral and other invertebrates person not a fish person. I wait until my tank is cycled and I start adding corals, not fish.

(beware person that quotes me on my thread about wanting more fish) :eek:

You're a new hobbyist so try some Toadstool (Sacrophyton) and Cabbage Coral (Sinularia). The Euphyllias tend to do better in newer tanks not trying to be ultra nutrient low systems. Rhodactis Mushrooms another good choice.

Mr. Bill and zesty like this.
  11. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

The main reason why folks suggest waiting 6+ months for SPS really has nothing to do with the newness of the tank, but the learning curve you are going to go through about SW and coral needs. It takes some time to get your arms and head around all the parameters and learning how to keep them stable. Go at your own pace, learn about any corals before you purchase them and decide best you can if you think your system and knowledge level can support it. Also be careful of buying some easy corals now that can later become pests like Kenya trees. Go slow and choose carefully. You will soon realize you only have so much real estate in your tank and space become precious. Corailline gave some great suggestions.

NU-2reef, Mr. Bill and zesty like this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Very well said!!!

Mr. Bill likes this.