how long after i defrost food ???

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by crystal, Mar 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

Just re-freeze it... Pop ur cube into a cup add tank water, use what you want and put it back in the freezer...

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I defrost mine and have it in the fridge for up too two weeks. I haven't had a problem yet. I dont think fish get sick from bad sea food like we do.

4. limpit

limpit Astrea Snail

I thaw my frozen, put it into a brine net and then rinse it with a little RO water then feed it. I only thaw out what I feed in a single day. While you can refreeze food it will loose a small amount of nutrients each time you do that.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

I thaw whats needed for that day (usually one cube). I screen off the water and then this allows me to throw in the thawed food without the water that it was packaged in. Also allows me to pick up a few pieces of food with my tongs and target feed.

edit: if its a frozen sheet of food i just use a razor and cut off a little cube of it and follow the aforementioned process of thawing and removing water.

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

oh, and i had a bag of pemysis that someone at my home decided to put in the fridge. it WREAKED by day 3. smelled like i put a dead fish in my fridge.

7. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

I agree with the don't put the water it was stored in in your tank, just more nutrients being added that are easily avoided. I just place one days worth of food (usually one cube sometimes half of one half of another) on a paper towel folded up, it soaks up the water as it drains, you can then quck rinse with RO or tank water if you prefer to rinse out the small particles.... I then place the food in a cleaned out spice jar (with a screw tight lid) and store in the fridge, I have never stored for more than two days but I'm sure doing like this and placing it in the screw top jar (making it air tight) you wouldn't have a problem storing it for a 4-5 days...

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

FWIW, tap water seems to works fine for thawing/rinsing frozen food

Once it's rinsed I put it in a little dish and add some tank water, dump about half in, then use a home-made glass dropper to target feed. If anything is left the fish get it.

10. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

Quality frozen food will not contain as much debris and cut down on your nitrates. Only thaw when you are ready to feed. Break off the right sized chunk and thaw in a smal container with your tank water after it is completely dissolved and free floating it is ready to feed. One tip add the food slowly and not in one dose, the goal is to not have food floating to the bottom and into your live rock uneaten. God Luck !

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

This only applies to food that has gel binders in the mixture (Ocean Nutrition, I know for certain, has them). If you use San Francisco Bay brand, or H2O Life, you don't need to do it, as it doesn't have the "algae rocket fuel" as I've heard it called.