How important is RO water in a FOWLR tank??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by CMC53, Mar 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

I have a 240 gallon FOWLR tank. I originally purchased a Spectrapure RO/DI system but returned it because it looked hideous in attached to my kitchen sink. The guy at the LFS told me that tap water should be fine being that I only have a FOWLR tank. (Keep in mind I have a wet/dry filtration system (sump), and I have two 40W UV lights).

Ok so I filled the tank up with tap water, cycled it for a few weeks. Put fish in there and everything is great! Now my question is if I do a 30% water change will it completely throw off the water chemistry causing my $1000s' of dollars of livestock to die? Of am I just being paranoid?

My tank consists of Triggers, Tang, Angels, Wrasses..

2. Click Here!

3. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

I would say get one it will keep algae down and overall save you on headaches

4. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Thanks! I understand what your saying but I just remodeled my kitchen. It looks very modern and sleek. I really dont want to add the system if I dont have to. I would install it under the bathroom sink but I have a pedestal sink (no under sink cabinet). So I'm all out of options. Besides the algae problem which hopefully the UV lights combat, what other problems may arise? And will my fish die due to imbalanced water if I do a water change?

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

dude 1 thread is fine for the same topic! you'll get a better overall answer with 1 thread instead of many!

6. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Sorry Mr. Fish Police! lol.. I wasn't sure which thread topic to start a post under, so I chose two.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

enjoy you're algae! no sense in getting all defensive when you're gonna refuse advice anyways!

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

If you're asking this ya have no reason to have your current stock list.

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

FYI-I kept my nano tank for 2 years using nothing but tap water as my source-never had an algae issue. It can be done if certain methods are used. I used Prime by Seachem to condition my water and ChemiPure Elite as a po4 and no3 remover.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Def posible, but def a bad idea to rec to a newbie with no experience in how to deal with it! i see future ASAP threads

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Who ever said the unit had to be hooked up in your kitchen? Get a garden hose splitter and hook it to your water faucet for you washer. Problem solved. RO/DI water will save you a lot headaches with diatoms and cyano algae.

1 person likes this.