How I beat ich

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SwimsWithFish, Apr 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So, that means you had a sick tank and threw a clean fish into a sick tank? Hmmm, thats a triple wow! Or, did you bother to QT it to observe it over 4 weeks time? If not, why take a chance in having ick in the tank? No, dont answer, it is a rhetorical question, as you may do as you please, you dont have to answer to me, just makes me wonder.

And I quote "1) I NEVER said it is the be all end all,". If anything, it is the logical choice. I guess some dont like to be logical here? Talk about hard headed.

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

okay

5. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Have you ever considered that many reefers don't have the funds or means to get a qt tank? Maybe we all don't have disposable income that we can use to buy whatever we want like you do. This hobby doesn't have to be only available to the rich- many like myself are trying to do it on a tight budget. That has NOTHING to do with how responsible we are with our fish and you have absolutely no right to call us irresponsible just because we don't have a qt tank. The last fish I had that ended up being sick- a $2.99 fish no less- I put in about 30 dollars of medication for that one fish, 10x of what I even bought it for, because I loved that fish so much. And now you come along and try to say that I'm irresponsible because I had no way of setting up a qt tank for him? Wow.

6. SwimsWithFish

nope, the fish showed no signs of ick for the first two days. and no, my tank is not sick. i have wonderful corals that do great and three healthy fish. he got ick because of the stress. also, no i did not bother QT because i knew that if he did get ick, he was a very small risk to my current inhabitants. you seem to think that just because ick is in the system that all the fish will contract it. Well, thats wrong, a fish has to be stressed in order to weaken its mucus layer, leaving it vulnerable to ick. My fish are healthy and not stressed, therefore they cannot get ick.

and as an update he's still doing great. no ick, and still eating.

7. sikpupy

I understand what your saying, but, really? Has nothing to do with the fish itself per-say, but, $30 extra to protect your tanks, and its inhabitants future is too much time $$ and trouble?

There are things that are controllable. You dont spit into the wind, you dont piss on an electric fence (least while it is plugged in) and you dont try to cross a busy 8 lane intersection.

If your gonna use that analogy, this one isnt that costly.

8. Click Here!

9. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yeah it is. I don't have a lot of money to blow on this hobby unlike some others out there. I try to save every penny that I have, and 30$ is a lot of money to most people in this world if you haven't realized it yet.

10. SwimsWithFish

THIS
    is a load of crap.

11. sikpupy

Well, ick is a parasite that doesnt go away. Someone got it and gave it to somene else. Either your tank had it and gave it to the fish, or, your fish has it and now gave it to the tank. It may be in limited numbers, but, now, it will always still be around. Now, unless your ick happens never to find a fish in, oh, say, 3 months, it WILL die out, but, until then, I can grantee you all fish will have at least 1 ick parasite in their gills that you cant see. Will they die from it? Probably not, but, what do you do if the electricity goes out, you accidentally roll rocks around too much moving things, stir up sand, heater goes out, gets stuck on? That there is what is called stress. Hey, its as big of a chance as the ick itself.

To say your fish "can not get ick"......mmmmm.... "I" would never go that far. If you want to, its all cool. Also, corals and inverts are not affected by ick, so, other than fish, everything else should be happy.

I never said you have GOT to take the fish out and treat it. What "I" am saying is, if it were me, once your fish was settled in for a week or two and unstressed, "I" would pull them all out and make sure they, and the DT, were clean before going back in. Funny no one got the unstressed part?? Personally, I dont care how bad I love a fish. If he didnt make it through a QT treatment, I would feel more comfortable knowing the rest of my tank is safe.

In the beginning, I was actually trying to help you from going through the same "I will just feed them" fate I went through and lost my whole tank, not just one fish. If you dont have enough money for a QT, then I am sure you dont have enough money to lose fish, but, your gamble.

Glad he is doing fine, but, get back to me in two or three months. Might be a different story (would you even tell us?) but i dont like unhappy endings, so, no ill wishes here.

12. sikpupy

No one is tighter than me bro, trust me on that one but I still have an extra tank. If it is just one fish, no big deal, I would probably take the gamble. 3 or 4? How much it would cost to replace them on a ick or velvet mishap? Much more than $30

Angry are we? And "I" am the one that "not" open minded? Hmmm.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.