How good are vortechs?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Recliner, Mar 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

If I go with vortech both the pumps will have to be on the back wall of my tank since my outlets are all back there. Since I can't aim them I'm worried about dead spots. I found someone selling new mp40 for $415 including shipping.so $830 for up to 6400 gph

If I go with tunze I think i would get a 6095 and a 6105 for $610 for about 5950 Gph. I could run the cord along the top of the tank and have them mounted on the two sides of the tank facing towards each other and direct one a little towards the from and the other at the back and possibly eliminate dead spots better.

I know I won't be bothered or notice the noise of the vortechs since they'll be in the sound deadened closet and I like the look of no cords. Not having heat from a powerhead enter my tank doesn't mean anything to me since I have to run a heater all the time anyway.
    I'm planning on buying a reef keeper elite controller to run either option. Since I won't have to include the cost of buying the tunze controller into my decision I think it tips me towards preferring the tunze over the vortech.

2. Click Here!

3. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

I have 2 MP40's on my 90 running at 90% each going through all the different modes through my Apex each day (WXM module). They really are great pumps and you will notice it instantly when putting it in your tank because of the undertow.
    The thing I love most about my MP40 is the control through my Apex (random flow/undertow), and the VERY small footprint inside the tank without any cords.

Now, with that said, you should do some google searches for the WP40 as it is MUCH cheaper ($125 shipped per PH WITH a controller). It definitely doesn't have all the cool benefits that the MP40's have; however, from the initial reviews, it has crazy flow with similar flow patterns as the 'wave' factor of the MP40/MP60. For my frag tank, I will be considering one of these instead of another MP40 for it after a few more months (giving it time to 'pan out' as these are very new to the market).

4. tst400

tst400 Astrea Snail

I have the wp40s and they make great waves... More flow tham I have ever had in my tank

5. tst400

tst400 Astrea Snail

I have the wp40s and they make great waves... More flow tham I have ever had in my tank

6. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Just checked out the wp40 they look amazing for the price.
    Tst400, how long have you had them? I found a site selling them for $85 each (don't know about shipping though) almost 80% cheaper then the cheapest mp40 I found and way cheaper then the tunze too. I think I'll have to go with them.
    Thanks for the idea

7. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I believe the down fall to those is they are either half or full speed. They do not ramp up and down like vortechs.

8. Click Here!

9. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

Yeah, they do not have a "reef crest" or "lagoon mode", per say, but 3 different wave type modes and some random mode. I have seen some people mod these, however, by simply replacing the DC input with a variable DC voltage input to slow down the pump (like 10 bucks from radio shack). Also, a WP25 is said to be coming out soon with less flow because as DevinH stated, the WP40 puts out too MUCH flow for smaller tanks according to others with the pump, lol.

One thing that currently remains is how long they will last. Initially, they seem like a good alternative to a Tunze or vortech because of the price to performance.

10. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

You get what you pay for .... Ecotechs customer service is worth paying for.

11. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

12. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

I bought 2 wp40 pumps with those controllers. 2 days later I came across a 30 gal cube being sold that's packed with coral and bought it.
    It has a mp10w lol. It's set up against a wall, not built into a closet like my other tank. Anything over 50% and I can hear the mp10, but faintly. Run at 100% though and it's loud when pulsing.
    It's dead silent unless you're within a foot or two if it's below 50%