How good are vortechs?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Recliner, Mar 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Here's an example of the PE I get from my torch and frogspawn. Only 1 mp10 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362282462.584105.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

150 gallon

4. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

mp10 is around 235. Not terrible. Nothing's cheap in this hobby. Also echo tech has amazing customer service.

5. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

mp40's are more :(

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Is it worth the investment with the controller and all?

7. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

I just bought an mp10 for my solana. Picking another up for my 40 breeder. Good thing is there always worth about what you pay for them. Heck you've got 180-200 bucks on your 4 750 koralias.

8. Click Here!

9. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

they are expensive, but they are awesome. i wasnt convinced either. then I put them in the tank. WOW. 2 mp40 in a 48x24x24 will easily replace 4 koralias1400. I had 3-5 koralias in my tank. and never got as much flow as I do with the 2 mp40s.

when I first put them in...the tank was all cloudy and getting detritus blown all over the place. not only do they have a great flow out. they truly suck in a ton of water, creating an undertow of sorts. they will create a cyclone/vortex to the top of the tank if not mounted far enough down.

but, they are a bit noisy. nothing to write home about. about a computer fan or so. less annoying than the click you get with koralias on a wave maker though.

10. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Yeah, I read about the noise. Tunze are supposed to be way way more quiet. They're a little cheaper too.
    I'm not too worried about the noise since the back of my tank where they'll be is in an insulated closet.
    How's the longevity of them? Have to replace the wet side of them yet? Or should they be good for many years with just occasional cleanings?

11. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

A comparable Tunze (6105) is about $350 and that doesn't include a controller, so when its all said and done the 2 Tunze's and a controller will run you about what 2 Mp40s would. The Tunzes are more quiet since the motor is in the water. Some people don't like the "ear muff" look of 2 Vortech pumps on the tank

No other pump generates the undertow that a Vortech does, i was shocked when I put one on my tank for the first time.

If you want a high end pump it should be Tunze or Vortech....Cnt go wrong with either one, it all depends on what factors are important to you
    The Vortechs make the most noise when they are ramping up and down, if you are hper sensitive to noise get the Tunzes but if you are not IMO the Vortech is a more impressive product

12. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

+1 on the vortech noise. I had to mess with mine to get it to quiet down a bit. Also the wireless sync on the vortech is an awesome option. Plus if you have radions they can be sync'd to them.