How fast to zoanthids grow?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by SyntheticBreed, May 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I wouldnt necessarily say stop dosing purple up, but rather dont dose what you dont test for. ie testing for calcium cause thats ultimately what purple up is. in a smaller tank like that with regular water changes, they are correct you shouldnt need to dose calcium.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well, the reason I say don't dose it is because we don't know what's in it. We assume it's calcium, but that's just an assumption. You know what they say about assumptions...

Dosing things like magnesium chlorida, calcium chloride and baking soda is different than dosing Purple up. We know exactly what we are dosing and how to test for it.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Didnt assume anything, just read the bottle. lol.

CaribSea Purple Up Coralline Algae Accelerator

It contains ionic calcium which immediately raises dissolved calcium levels in your aquarium water. At the same time Super Sea Calcium™ (a 10 micron aragonite powder derived from natural seawater) targets the live rock surface. Super Sea Calcium™ dissolves in situ; delivering calcium, strontium, magnesium, and carbonate right where it’s needed. Purple-Up™ also replenishes iodine; an essential element for coralline algae tissues that quickly becomes depleted in closed systems. Purple-Up™ is an excellent addition to any aquarium with stony corals too! One bottle of Purple-Up™ replaces the typical multi product recipe for successful coralline algae growth favored by advanced aquarists.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Eh, that only lists a couple of the ingredients, with no % of any of them. It also does not list what else it contains, which is most people's problem with it.

And as already mentioned, in a tank that small, all it should take is water changes until you are really well stocked with stony corals and/or clams.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Regardless, it's completely unnecessary. It says right on the bottle that it's derived from seawater, so using a quality salt accomplished the same goal- like I said. Adding a product such as Purple Up just increases the constituents to potentially dangerous levels. They say it contains iodine, which is almost impossible to test (the test kits are worthless)for and extremely dangerous to invertebrates.

What else is in the product that they don't list? What's the concentration of those constituents so we know how much to dose? We don't know.

Dosing things like magnesium chloride, calcium chloride and baking soda is different than dosing Purple up. We know exactly what we are dosing and how to test for it. As such, we know exactly how much to does to bring our concentrations to the level we desire.

8. Click Here!

9. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

they all grow at different rates.

can you post up some parameters, maybe that will help?

10. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

0 across the board, my iodine is fine. I have high calcium but now that I've stopped dosing purple up I'm sure it'll settle down. My PH is buffered weekly so it hasn't changed. My salt fluctuates between .023-.026, I keep my temperature at 80* but it can get as low as 78* after a few hours lights out.