How fast does toadstool grow

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Craft kid21, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

as its says in the title my 29g is now packed with corals....i just added a pretty big sized toadstoool leather....what would you guys say that the growthh is?
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Mine took awhile to acclimate and start growing, but after that I would say at least a half inch in diameter a month. When the polyps stop extending that means it's going to shed. They will generally stay closed for about a week than it will open up bigger and better than before.
  4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Toadstools are one of the larger leathers, but its eventual size and time it takes to mature depends on its sex and environment. I think a female toadstool grows 5 times as large as a male and matures in 10 years maybe? And a male matures in 5 years or so? The female can be a couple feet wide where the male the size of a softball.

These corals grow quicker in healthy tanks with strong lighting. They derive their food via photosynthetic algae. They can move slightly and leave behind a bit of their stalk in order to multiply, actually – I think I have one in the process of this in one of my tanks, if I remember this evening I will take a picture.

I couldn’t agree with the statement of ½ inch per month, but I couldn’t disagree either. I would speculate that a smaller coral could display such growth and then slow as it matures.
  5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

they grow well with dirty tanks as well.... and they spread. and spread some more!