how does this sump work

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by hddoutside, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Even with the water level in your tank higher then the water level in filter box?

2. Click Here!

3. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well if your looking at the right water level in the filter(on the side with the siphon tube), your screwed to be blunt. No body uses a overflow that continually requires a pump to move water to the sump, its just not safe.

If it truly doesn't work like a traditional overflow box the person that sold that to you really took advantage of your lack of experience.

5. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

....damn. 83 post to find out am screwed.

6. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

i guess in the upside i think my 40 gallon cube tank just got sold. only problem is that he wants to see my stand. :eek:

Attached Files:

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a proper overflow should work like this
    [​IMG]
    the U tube once primed(has water in it) should stay primed even without water flowing. It does that by staying submerged on both ends. Then when one side of the water gets higher then the other it flow through the tube to try and even out the pressure.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

just do a little sanding and staining it will look ok. I actually don't like those cabinet like stands because its harder to work on the sump.

10. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

can the sump still be useable by just changing the overflow box?

11. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

yea but you have no idea how picky people are here. its all about looking nice even if its looks ghetto has hell.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea but not to discourage you. If possible I would ditch the wetdry chamber if you want a reef, its just taking up space.

A sump is just a regular tank that holds equipment for the main tank. It's really simple you just need a way to get water to it(overflow and hose) and a pump to return it.

don't feel to bad we have all bought bad equipment when starting out. I bought a 150 dollar skimmer that never skimmer more then a cup a month(in a heavily stocked tank). You learn to read reviews on everything and never buy diy equipment unless you trust who made it.

1 person likes this.