how does this sump work

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by hddoutside, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

yea will thank you for all you help sostoudt

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Just tell the guy it holds the tank, that's what matters. wood isn't cheap. He can add his own paneling if he desires.

But if he desires a custom made stand that looks nice thats some money, either a hobbyiest or a craftsmen must make it. I personally would never trust those cheap stand they sell at the places like petsmart, they mostly particle board or pretty thin steel.

4. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

guess were my saltwater stand is from.

5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Are you sure the top of the divider (I circled it in red in the pic) is actually lower than the water level in the tank? I have a Whisper power filter on my tank (used for carbon) and the divider is about an inch higher than the water level in my display tank. When I shut off the power to the filter, it drains the water back into the display tank. There is no way I could use it as an overflow without cutting down the divider. Maybe that's what you need to do. Or get the Eshopps PF-300 overflow that was suggested earlier in this thread.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

go to the lfs and get a "U" style tube for hang on back overflow box that and lil plastic molly breeder box thingy lol and we'll have u up and running
    10 dollar fix

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it looks homemade to me. I'm suprised if its from petsmart and they used actual 2x4's

8. Click Here!

9. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

no my saltwater tank not the freshwater. my saltwater is made for metal from petco and is very flimsy

10. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

hmmm am going to check again thanks for the tip.

11. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

but isnt there a reason why the dividers that high? i think i heard about that somewhere.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's to keep water in the chamber with the impeller, or the pump can't start.

The problem is that the chamber with the impeller isn't low enough to work as a siphon overflow. It needs to be able to have a lower water level than the tank, without breaking the siphon, or it won't work properly.