How Do You Soak Your Fish Food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by ryanwolf, Jun 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

I am starting to use extreme garlic ... but am kind of tired of getting that crap on my hands...
    How do you properly soak seaweed paper, frozen food, flakes, etc with garlic and or selcon or other vitamins...

Any help would be great!

examples of some of my problems...
    1) soak too long, turns to mush
    2) fingers stink
    3) melt the frozen first then mix???

yikes,
    Ryan

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have not ever soaked the seaweed sheets, but I have plastic dixie cups and I place the food in there. I then add the garlic or selcon into the cup and let it soak in. After at least 5-10 minutes I put some tank water in there, stir a bit and let it sit a bit and feed.

I use frozen and flake food this way

4. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

you just pour the food from the cup with the water back into the tank?!

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I dont soak the sea weed sheets either.
    For frozen, I defrost it, drain the water, then add garlic, vitamin c, and selcon. I honestly just poke a small hole in the foil seal, this way you can add just a few drops straight from the bottle without causing a mess.
    A tip with garlic: buy the minced garlic jars at the store. Use the juice from that. It's the exact same thing for $2 a jar, no reason to pay $20 for garlic extreme.

1 person likes this.
  6. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

How about frozen cubed food like mysis? You can't really drain the water from that... can garlic still be used

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

...I just posted this question in another thread...what are the benefits of garlic, besides making the food more palatable? Am I depriving my fish of vital nutrients? ...well, maybe....I don't use any vitamins, never have. Honestly, the thought never occured to me. I feed frozen mysis/brine shrimp & blood worms, I have a designated little plastic cup, I just drop a cube, add some tank water, just enough to cover the cube, give it a few swishes, and slowly feed 'em...hmmm, I know I've said this before...I use flakes, only when I'm to lazy to do the whole frozen/swish/pour thing lol.

10. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

ohh, i forgot to add...I have never soaked my flakes, nor the sea weed, that I just rip a small piece off, attach it to the clip & stick it in, and I only give them that about once a week (I don't have anymore tangs :eek:(

11. Fishmama67

Fishmama67 Plankton

So I hear that it is a great idea to rinse your food before you feed it to the kids because it is usually made with preservatives that tend to increase hair algea and other 'problem' things like higher nitrates. Anyone heard of this? How do I rinse my Prime reef and not end up with MOOSH which floats all over thetank and makes it too easy to overfeed and cause MORE problems? RIght now I only have two percula clowns and no CUC or "neato lights" or anything like that. If I feed the mooshy bits then they are not going to be able to get it all. I just cut off a little frozen corner and pop it into their mouths and they end up with a little seafood popcicle which they seem to LOVE and they only get exactly how much they should , everyone gets their own bit and nobody gets anyone else's food. I keep asking about this to different people but no one seems to be taking it on.

12. TheShavedBird

TheShavedBird Plankton

I just stick the food in my tank while im holding it and get it wet for a sec the just let it go.