How do you sex a Pipefish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by cavnoe, Jun 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cavnoe

cavnoe Plankton

I just purchased two Pipefish. Does any one here no how to sex a pipefish? Also they seem to be doing fine. I have had them for two weeks so far and they have colored in nicely. I would appreciate any tips someone can give me about keeping pipefish.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

No offence intended here, but alot of your posts seem to be you have bought something then are asking someone how to care/sex/tips on the animals. Shouldn't you find out these things before purchasing them?

4. cavnoe

cavnoe Plankton

I didn't care about the sex of the pipe fish. I have read up on caring for them but nothing beats first hand experience. Since I am sure someone has done it before me I am asking these question because they may know something I have not read or heard of as of yet. I have had read basic information on things before and learned a lot more through experience as well as from people who have done it before me. Also I believe this is the first time I have asked about the sex of a fish.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

A Barry White CD and a nice bottle of wine?

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

;D I'm not sure about sexing them. I did have one a while back and it was eating prepared foods (frozen and pellets) but I think they may also need some live food in their diets. Mine seemed to be healthy and then one day, poof! gone.....I'd try to provide it some live food and read up on its dietary requirements. They are super cool fish that's for sure! Right up there with seahorses in terms of their mystical appearance. I have no idea how to sex them though just makes sure you meet their dietary needs.

Once you do that, then the Barry White CD and wine :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1~ From what I've read, just them being healthy and fed can lead to breeding. If the male (or it's mate) is underfed they actually eat the embryos as a source of nutrition. Keep an eye out for the sac or pouch of embryos on the underside of the male near the tail.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Can you put a picture up so we can see what species they are? You can tell in some, others you can't.

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Actually, it has nothing to do with being underfed...pipefish are cannibalistic with their fry.

11. cavnoe

cavnoe Plankton

I have been feeding them live food every few hours. Except when I am asleep of course. They seem to get along with one another that's why I think I have a male and female. Here are some photos. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370663353.364472.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370663378.894715.jpg

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator