How Do You Manage Nitrates in Your Aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JaysLittleOcean, Nov 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

I use macro algae and try to keep the bio-load low. My yellow tang has been getting bigger than I want so that is screwing up my tank slowly.

2. Click Here!

3. JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean Spaghetti Worm

I was considering that but can that be used in combination of the Carbon and GFO? Also does the effluent of the bio-pellets have to go into the Protein Skimmer?

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

For bio pellets yes, you need a skimmer. You want the effluent as close to the skimmer as you can. The way my sump is set up mine is about 6" away. You can use gfo and carbon, just make sure you don't strip away to much, too quickly. For my reef, bio pellets is all I need as it is very effecient once they kicked in.

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Ill go and second this vote on the seachem matrix. I started using it a few months ago and am extremely pleased with the results I have gotten. I also use a DIY coil denitrator. Not a very popular device but something that historically worked well for me. my nitrates are now below 5ppm and I have .02 phosphates. I feed the equivalent of 2 cubes of frozen daily and have 7 fish in my 66 gallon reef.

a high quality skimmer is also a great step here.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I should note that I have an over stocked 75 gallon with a purple tang. I feed two frozen cubes daily and pellets thrown in 3 times a day so a large bio load. I second pickupman66 as having a quality skimmer is key. My nitrates never register on my test kits. Never tried matrix but have heard good results.

7. JaysLittleOcean

What are the best bio-pellets on the market?

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

10. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

aquaripure nitrate filter

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Fan, you should start your own thread. Your question has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Jay, I've used a few different ones and the best results so far has been with NP reducing bio pellets. The same company also makes the all in one pellet but I didn't have success with those. There original has worked great for my reef.

12. JaysLittleOcean

Thank you for the recommendation.

DSC reef likes this.