How Do You Manage Nitrates in Your Aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JaysLittleOcean, Nov 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean Spaghetti Worm

So I have hit a point where the Nitrates in my JBJ 45 RL AOI Aquarium have hit what I consider inn acceptable levels and have experienced 2 lost Acropora Frags and a third is partially suffering from Slow Tissue Necrosis. After measuring with my Salifert Nitrate Test Kit, it revealed that my nitrates were at 10ppm. I have already begun the increased water changes from 2 gallons of water per week to 4 gallons which has reduced the Nitrate level to 7.5ppm. Question is what do you do to maintain your nitrates to an acceptable level within your nano aquariums?

2. Click Here!

3. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well, I do 10% water changes weekly. My nitrate levels are always <2ppm. If you had a sump w/refugium I'd say you might be able to get away with 10% every two weeks (which is aprox what you were doing) but since you don't I'd strongly recommend 10% every week. In fact, since you are 45gal, I'd say just round up to 5gal per week.

4. Jim Bonds

Well, I do 10% water changes weekly. My nitrate levels are always <2ppm. If you had a sump w/refugium I'd say you might be able to get away with 10% every two weeks (which is aprox what you were doing) but since you don't I'd strongly recommend 10% every week. In fact, since you are 45gal, I'd say just round up to 5gal per week.

5. JaysLittleOcean

I am most likely going to do the round up to 5 gallons. I appreciate the chime in and recommendation.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Bigger water changes, and bio media. Get a reactor and run some seachem matrix or something similar. From my understanding, purigen seems to help with it, though I've never really had a nitrate issue.

7. JaysLittleOcean

I actually have two nano reactors. One running Aquamaxx Carbon and the other running Aquamaxx GFO. I normally change the carbon every month. But I could start doing it every three weeks.

8. Click Here!

9. Jim Bonds

Oh yeah, totally agree with VA. I forgot to mention that I keep a bag with SeaChem Matrix and Phosguard in one of the chambers in my 29 biocube. Media reactors are better but I don't have the space.

What kind of bio load do you have?

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Carbon and GFO don't really help with nitrates, at least not in the way a bio media would. Something like matrix or ceramic rings act as extra live rock, the high surface area and porosity of them allows for increased biological filtration. I believe filling up a TLF 150 reactor with either of those equates to somewhere around 100lbs of extra live rock.

11. JaysLittleOcean

That makes sense, I will keep that I mind.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I actually smack the nitrates right out of the water with an open hand! Another option to think of is biopellets. It's worked wonders for me, use a quality pellet with a good reactor