How do you know when tang has ich

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Dubethenewb, Sep 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

There are certain fish which require an older, more mature tank. Tangs are one of them. The most important reason for that is that they need a lot of established live rock to graze on. That's the majority of their diet.

2. Click Here!

3. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

My rock is established andni have kept tangs before in a tank with nothing and had them for years so I disagree

Just because that is your experience and opinion isn't the same for everyone

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I know, I agree. Just saying the majority opinion. If your fish are fine, then that's all that matters.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You don't need to have a tang in order to have a fish, and thus not be looking at water for months. You can do lots of other fish early, but tangs need the established system for grazing.

Just wondering about this, you say you've had tangs for years, but you're asking what the signs of ich are...?

6. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

Thanks for looking out, just hearing a lot about ich and didn't know much about it so I am looking for signs to pay attention too.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Either small white spots on the fish, or the fish flashing/scratching on rocks. Sometimes ich can affect the gills first, so the first sign would be rapid breathing.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, ich is pretty common on tangs, to the point where most people consider them "ich magnets". Having tangs for years, plus not knowing the signs of ich, is somewhat unusual, is all.

10. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

I had other tangs before about 5 years ago in my fish only tank now I am getting back into it and starting a reef tank. And yes that is what I'm asking my fish never had any problems before so I didn't need to know about ich