How do you guys dose two part?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by GuitarMan89, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well, it's gone much better. I started dosing Alk in the morning and Ca in the evening. I tested and my levels were much better and have been much more stable. I also have had less Ca/alk deposits on the walls of my sump and pumps. This method has proven much better then dosing them at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Good! im happy we came to a conclusion on the most efficient dosing method... how are the corals growing? faster?

4. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

newbie here...where can I read up on this whole method of dosing...I does ca on Mondays & Wednesdays and dkh on Tuesday and Thursday.????

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on this - not using BRS but using Seachems Reef Builder and doing maintenance dosing, not trying to increase
    I have also found that by doubling the amount of RODI water I add the powder to, I get less localised clouding and thus avoid preciption or PH spikes

in addition Alk buffers are best added at night simply because they do tend to increase PH , which if its done at the same time PH would naturally be dropping ( due to the increase in C02 from plants/ algaes respirating) helps to offset any problem PH spikes

hence dosing at night and dosing it slowly is ideal IME

Steve

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

GM, you dose opposite I do. How is your pH?

I dose alk at night to keep the night time pH up and avoid dosing alk in the morning so my day time pH doesn't get too high.

8. Click Here!

9. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

Dingo: I read the WHOLE article (Very interesting by the way) but read nothing about dosing Ca and Buffer in the same day??? It was excelent on explaining the interaction between the two and optimum levels but not on actual dosing...???

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I think most people using two part do it in the same day. Just one in the morning and one at night. I do Cal in the morning and Alk at night.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Agreed. I have a refugium running on a reverse cycle to my daylights, so my ph doesn't shift much. So I dose Alk in the morning, really out of habit, and Ca in the evening. It's better to dose daily rather then every few days to keep levels up and stable.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I just dose B-Ionic ALK/CA/MG manually every Sat. (after WC) & Wed. mornings, been working great and takes literally a min each day.