how do you get rid of mysis shrimp ?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by OverStocked, Sep 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

what you need to do is take a pop bottle and cut off the ends, using reef-safe silicon glue vinyl screen mesh to the bottom of the jug, and tie fishing line to the top of the jug.
    Here comes the hard part, at night (it will probably take all night for a few nights you have to keep at it though or it won't work) remove a small area of sand from the substrate. Place the trap on the THIN level of sand and bail with meaty foods. Then hold a flashlight UNDER the tank so the light spotlights the trap's screen floor. This will help attract the pods to that area along with the food.
    I would start changing your sleep schedule right away. For this to be effective, pull out 100 pods at a time, every 10-15 minutes for 5 night cycles in a row. If you skip a day they will start to reproduce again!
    You can't start until full dark. GL tell us your experiences.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

You just don't like to look at them? They are cool you know? I really enjoy looking at them in my sump. I wish there were more in my DT. I most likely will buy a bottle of reef nutrition Tigerpods to restock the DT as they have been not around much there since I moved the tank.

4. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

theydon't do any harm so i guess i could leave them but there is so many.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Their numbers will rise and decline with available food. Try not to overfeed to help keep the numbers down.

6. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

You will never get rid of pods and mysis as long as you have a reef tank. There are certain fish that will gobble them up, but I'm not even going to suggest that because you really need to have a think as to WHY you decided to have a reef tank in the first place. Having a living reef in an aquarium means having many different animals living together in a very tiny ecosystem. Copepods and amphipods are not considered a pest.

To the guy who said amphipods were eating his corals, I believe he is wrong.

you should listen to everyone here telling you not to get rid of them... There is no reason to even try because you never will succeed in ridding of them unless you decide to go to a fish-only tank with no live rock and no substrate whatsoever.

7. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm still not following the reason to rid a reef tank of pods. Overstocked, with respect, it seems that most of your questions are answered with the best interest of your tank in mind. I notice that you, to some degree, reject the advise of many of the advanced and expert reef keepers here. Not one of us has all of the answers. Don't bite the hand(s) that help you.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Still i think you should try my trap I idea for 5-7 hours a night for a week or so. You will be pleased.

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I agree. :2thumbsup;D

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I wonder what tomorrows problem will be???

12. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

This thread is getting off on a Reef Central type feel. :toilet::cry2:

Let's remember this is his reef and we should give that some respect. He did seem to say he would leave them in after all the flames shot at him even.