how do you get rid of mysis shrimp ?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by OverStocked, Sep 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

could i trap them some how ?

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I'm surprised a lfs store would advise to copper a tank just to kill amphipods. Copper has a place, but that's not it.

Amphipods are not always good, though. I started my reef tank with no fish, and my amphipod population went out of control. They started eating my corals, mainly my acans. I've had this happen on and off for nearly a year. The problem is that the amphipods are nocturnal, and most of the fish that eat them are asleep at night, or not actively hunting. I found a solution by running moonlights so there is a transition time where it's dark enough for the amphipods to come out, but still enough light for the fish to remain active.

It's also not true that copper is absorbed into silicone, or that a coppered tank can no longer house coral. It takes a long time to remove the copper, (A LOT longer than 48 hours), but it is possible to remove it using carbon and Cuprisorb. Now, I'm NOT recommending that anyone copper a reef tank, but I know from personal experience that it is possible.

Back to the original topic, my advice would be, unless the amphipods are causing a problem, leave them alone. They are a healthy part of your system. If they are causing problems, find a natural solution to control their population. Even if they were all killed off, they would eventually be reintroduced and you would be right back were you started from.

4. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

you could siphon em out and ship em to me for food.

5. barbianj

Didn't see this before I posted, sorry.

You know, OverStocked, your method of fishkeeping would be the main reason you have so many amphipods. Whether you like it or not, nature will dictate what happens, you can only help to guide it. It's not surprising to see a problem, or a radical solution here, because you don't seem to want to take the good advice that people have given you in the past. That's what happens.

What problems are the amphipods creating in your tank? Why do they need to be removed/killed?

6. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

I sounds dumb but i got a blue clip on night light and they are all over my glass at night time.

7. barbianj

Being all over the glass is not a reason to kill them.

If they are on the glass, they are probably not amphipods, though. Those would be copepods, and you definitely don't want to kill them.

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Suck them up with a turkey baster and give them to your mantis shrimp to eat. They are just going to breed and replace all the ones you remove though. The abundance of food dictates the population. Cut back on their food (fish food, fish waste, algae, etc) and you cut back their population.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

^^ I agree...
    There is not a real way to get rid of them without killing your tank. No matter how many you remove they will keep coming.
    And another thing, they usually only come out at night so why worry to much?

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

100% agree. I have used copper in a tank, and it wasn't permanently "copperized" from that point on. I did use carbon (I run it 24/7/365 in all my tanks) after wards to suck out what little may have been left behind, as well as a water change (as recommended by the product). But I will say "coppering" should be done in the quarantine tank, not the display tank.

12. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Copper absoulty gets absorded in the silicone.....