how do you clean cyano off open brain?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by mcfarrow, Feb 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

an important thing that i learned about LPS is that they are sensative to PO4 both inogranic and organic. what are you params. the brain may be savable if you water is great. but as everyone says it doesnt look good

2. Click Here!

3. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

Oh man I hope its not BJD.
    It all started about a month ago when I came home to some red slime that had grown up and onto the brain. I cleaned it off by lifting it up into the flow of the powerhead but I guess the irritation of it made it shrink back so the skeleton showed. The slime came back a few times since then and just this past week I noticed the skeleton tips changed color. I've had this piece for about 6 or 7 months now and since I'm a noob I've stressed it out many times and the skeleton would become visible but it has always bounced back.

maybe i'll try a small paintbrush or a toothbrush but I dont want to stress the tissue around the skeleton since it seems to still be healthy.

Man I love this brain, its so colorful and bright under my moonlight. Its one of my favorite pieces. I guess this is what I get for letting my tank get out of control. crap
    M

Hey phoenixhieghts, I've never target fed this guy before. What are you giving your Lobo?

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Brineshrimp :) ;D try target feeding, it will give him the extra energy needed to bounce back ;)

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's because there aren't lobophyllia that come in yellow. That is a bleached coral that has been dyed. Target feeding is going to be required for it to live.

The Tragedy of Artificially Colored Live Corals by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com
    Additional Commentary on Dyed Corals by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

7. scvc

scvc Bristle Worm

My husband surprised me for Valentine's day with an open brain, pink and green. When I hung the bag to acclimate it I could see what looked like algae. After placing it in the tank I called the LFS and his words were, "That is just algae growing on the skeleton" as if everything would be okay. There must 3x more on this one that the coral pictured in this thread. I felt like they just rooked my husband. Should I take it back?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Can you post a picture? It's probably not a big deal. Please put it in a seperate thread so we don't derail Mcfarrow's thread.

10. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

Heres an older pic of it that shows the color better.
    [​IMG]

I waited around to feed him last night but he didn't extend his tentacles. I'll see what he feels like tonight.

11. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

well the little guy is going strong but I still havent seen his tentacles since all this started happening. I've even left my moonlight off for a week thinking it might be too bright. I think I'll go get another test kit this morning. hrm