How do you add coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ccscscpc, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

B
    Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9670; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.522 Mobile Safari/534.8+

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

QT between.

I dip them, drip them, float them, then drop them! I'm planning on using my 30 gallon mantis/clown nem tank as a coral QT as well. Using water from my DT for water changes in the 30 gallon to keep equal parameters.

After that I will float/drip acclimate, then dip, then QT. After a week or so, I will take them out of QT and dip them again before going in the Display tank. At least that's my plan!

This is a total Necro thread... but still a good one!

4. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Well I am not one of the folks who quarantine coral. I also only dip once. I buy from a good friend of mine who I know dips.. I feel fine about adding coral after that one dip I haven't had problems.
    I think that there are ways to OVER acclimate coral too. I know folks who do the whole qt.. then dip.. then treat.. then Drip over days/weeks and lots of the coral has died on them..
    Coral RX and or iodine will kill the bad stuff and you only need to do it once. Lets face it people... We have reef tanks here we are going to get some good and bad hitch hikers no matter what. Cyano... bubble algae... all of these can sneak in no matter how cautious we are. BUT>>> Cyano and Algae will not take "root" and take over your tank unless you have serious water quality issues. Dipping is more for killing things like redbugs, nudi, spiders etc.
    Hope this helped clarify.
    Heidi

5. Jva

Jva Astrea Snail

I soak them for about 15-30 minutes, and about 10 minutes in I begin drip acclimating every 5 minutes.

6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Your so right! SPOOKY!!! I see the culprit! Du-Du-Da-DAAAAAA! :crowngrin :evil3: :skull:

THE CULPRIT........sjnovakovich! lol. :p

7. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

Yep! I'm him.::) Just proves the value of the thread, and also shows that as a newbie to salt, I'm not just reading the newest posts; I'm doing my research.;)

Steve