How do you add coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ccscscpc, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I inspect the coral in the bag then float it for 30 minutes. After I remove the coral from the bag, I inspect it and remove anything questionable.

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

for coral i float for 30+ then drip for 1hr.inspect then add.scrap left over water
    fish= 30 float then pull out 50cc bag water then add same amount tank water, i do this 3 times.

4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I do the same, however believe that the quarant. method is the best. Just to be safe.

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

First piece of coral I bought was some zoos on a piece of rock about the size of two golf balls. That small piece brought along with it aipstia, bubble algae, hair algae, bristle worms and some cyano. Of course, not knowing better, right into the display tank it went. I ended up fragging it down into small enough pieces to get things cleaned up. I quarantine my coral now, coral rx before going into quarantine, coral rx coming out of quarantine and red slime remover if the rock it's on is showing any signs of cyno.

6. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

Ok... I think this might be a dumb question, but here goes. How do you actually perform the dip? Do you just have a container of prepare sewater with the dipping chemical added, and put the coral in it for several minutes? What do you do with the coral in between dips? Quarantine, I suppose?

7. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

I float the bag for about 15 minutes to temperature acclimate. Then I open the bag and add about 2ml of coral-rx. I re-close the bag and jostle it a bit and let it sit for about 20 minutes in the sump to keep the temperature up. I then take the piece out (discard bag water) and glue it where I want it. I use this method with SPS, LPS and all my zoas and other softies.
    Hope this helps
    Heidi

8. Click Here!

9. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i just treat the coral as i would a fish i float it for a half an hour then put it in the tank

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I float for 20-30 minutes. Take some of the water the frag is in and dip it with coral rx. After that it goes directly in the tank. Havent had any problems with this method.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

There's a lot of zombie threads being dug up, lately. This one is 16 months old.

Just sayin'. :)

12. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

I understand, and this makes great sense, but previous posts mention dipping the coral 3 or 4 time with 3 to 5 days between dips. Is the coral in the tank at this time?