How do you add coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ccscscpc, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

So generally, for soft corals, being in contact with the air isn't a problem?

And pretty much just drip acclimate in a bucket then do water change in bucket? Then I can add the coral to my tank?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

For softies, I float the bag for a half hour (with the lights off) to get it to temperature. I then test the SG of the water in the bag and then compare it to the SG of the aquarium. (Hopefully, it's similar. With that said, I've found some LFS's improperly keeping corals as low as 1.022). If the LFS water is at 1.025 or 1.026 I just do my dipping procedure right away, inspect the coral and the LR attached to the coral, then put it in the tank.

This procedure works. I've never once had an aiptasia or majano anemone in any of my tanks.

4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Question: "Inwall" .... how long do you quarantee them and how?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Pelado, I really can't answer this question. There are so many species of corals and I treat them differently. For instance, for a zoanthid colony, I would do a freshwater dip with Lugol's and then watch it for a week. For a montipora, I most certainly wouldn't do a freshwater dip and I would probably use Flatworm Exit or Prazi-pro as opposed to Lugol's for the dip and I would likely watch it for 3 weeks in QT at a minimum.

It's probably best just to ask about your specific coral.

Once dipped, keeping it in QT is easy. A cheap tank, a cheap light, a cheap powerhead. I'm not worried about them growing while in QT, I'm worried about parasites and hitchhikers.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

A freshwater dip for softies? What about polyps?

7. Pelado

Thanks sooo much for your response. I truly appreciate it.... just having problems with some zoas that after a week are not opening. My water parameters are fine and all other corals are doing great. So again thanks a lot :)!!!

8. Click Here!

9. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Wow...I never thought you had to QT corals too!!!

10. Pelado

I always acclimate them by floating the bag in the tank for about 30 minutes, adding water from the aquarium slowly and then make sure you don't add the water from the bag into the tank. Always worked for me.... but you can always use the drip method.
    Best wishes to you :)

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Dip then quarantine. I've already been bitten hard by monti eating nudibranchs and red bugs. If you don't dip and quarantine, it's only a matter of time before we're all bitten :(

12. Pelado

Yeah, quaranteen is definitely the best option. If you can accomodate a quarantee tank, then go for it!