how do i set up skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by billrwilson, Mar 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

ok this is the filter with built in skimmer i have http://www.rrdist.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=30FB0000-1062529515 the skimmer hangs in the sump with the bottom open the skimmer pump has a pvc straight piece from it thats short then an 90 angle then a short piece staight where the air hose comes in then another angle piece should i set it up so it makes a tornado of bubble in the skimmer tube or just let the pvc blow the bubbles against the side of the skimmer tube? sorry i dont have a pic to show any one but i hope i described it good enough. basicly the pvc pieces coming from the skimmer pump form a c shap but i can adjust them.

2. Click Here!

3. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

also are the bubbles suppose to come out the bottom the fill my sump also

4. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

guess no one knows what im talking about. what i did was take the top angled pvc that makes it point to the side of the skimmer off so the water and bubble shoot straight to the top of the skimmer to see what happens

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

There are a couple people on this board who have that filter but I can't remember who.  :p

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have it shoot straight up. Think of it this way, you want the bubbles to have as much contact time as possible in the bubble chamber. So shooting to the side so the bubbles can spin around as they come up would be better than angling the output straight up.

I hope this helps.

matt

6. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

well i have a filter similar to that one except its the 150. just set it up as it looks in the picture. Let the bubbles hit the inside of the cilinder.

7. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Hello all,

I will be setting up my tank very soon. I still have not purchased filtration, etc. The only thing bought so far is my tank (120 gal), salt, 300w heater and florida crushed coral. This filter unit looks like something I would be considering and was wondering if you were happy with it Fastlife, in terms of effectiveness, noise etc..

I'm planning to keep fish only, but would love to add some corals down the line. From what I have read in this forum I know that a skimmer/sump combo is a "must" ..... this ProClear wet/dry unit looks interesting.

I'm totally new to this so I'm trying to get as much education as possible.

Thanks in advance.

8. Click Here!

9. Peter@JAX

Peter@JAX Astrea Snail

I just setup a tank with a proclear 125 wet/dry and the proclear MPS150 skimmer in the sump - my tank is 1 week old. I am getting mucho, mucho foam when I open the air line fully - I'm am not getting much foam if I open it part way, is this normal for a new setup?