how do i lower the nitrate levels in my tank?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Guest, Jan 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I give you both karma for a good debate ;D

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Covey, this is not a debate from my point of view :)

I just get a little concerned when people post things like " water change water change waterchange! " as though it's the solution to every problem, real or perceived, in an aquarium.

The fact that you do water changes and I do not proves nothing, but I certainly applaud you for sticking with what you are comfortable with.

John

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

somethingfishy

Thank you for the Karma :)

I agree that the hobby is evolving and becoming mature. My not doing water changes is not experimental my old mate :) It's something that a lot of people do ( or don't do ) :), and have not been doing for a long time. Anyway thanks again.

John

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

sam,

Whare are you? How are things going, in your tank that is?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

John, (The dude with a smokin fish)

Just curious, 2 years without waterchanges..... Hmmmmmm can you elaborate on your setup? Thanks.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=AJ link=board=Freshwater;num=1074885859;start=15#24 date=08/10/04 at 20:45:26]

John, (The dude with a smokin fish)

Just curious, 2 years without waterchanges..... Hmmmmmm can you elaborate on your setup? Thanks.[/quote]

Just John will be fine :)

Nothing special or even very large, just a small tank, hob filter, heater, token ornament, gravel, some weedy looking plants, a piece of what looks like bamboo that is growing like crazy, fish and water.

The only maintenance I do is clean the filter about once every 2 weeks, wipe the glass, top up the water ( from the tap ) every week

John

8. Click Here!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I was looking for tank size, and How many fish and what kind and what size you have in them?

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Come on and join as a member AJ! Welcome!

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=AJ link=board=Freshwater;num=1074885859;start=15#26 date=08/10/04 at 21:06:49]
     I was looking for tank size, and How many fish and what kind and what size you have in them?[/quote]

Well AJ, The tank volume I can't remember and I am writing this from my work, but the dimensions are approx 24 in x 10 in x 10 in. There are approx 7 fish and some rogue snails :) All the fish are reasonably small about 1.5 inches each except for an orphan gold fish which is about 3 inches and lives quite happily in the warmer water :)
    As for the species of fish, I can't really remember but there is nothing special in there :)

John

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Freshwater;num=1074885859;start=15#27 date=08/10/04 at 21:17:40]Come on and join as a member AJ!  Welcome![/quote]

Goes for me too :)

John