How do I grow Coralline Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. allsmilze

allsmilze Astrea Snail

In addition to all the great advice which is all correct, coralline will not grow if you have hi phosphates... (keep that in mind) Also, if you do decide to seed your tank (which I recommend) make sure the rest of your rocks are clean. You can simply pulled them out one by one, depending on how many you have and simply brush them off with a tooth brush. Coralline will not grow on slimy surfaces surfaces, so I've heard. Parameters: VERY IMPORTANT!!! I recommend B-Ionic. It comes in two parts and it's seriously the best stuff out there recommended by marine aquarist all over! Stay away from the "purple up" stuff.. I heard that you do get coralline with it but it's not the same. I heard a lot of negative things about it.. Good luck bro, I'm on the same track as you and I"m beginning to see results doing some of the things I mentioned. keep your calcium high 450-500 ppm... Do frequent parameter checks because the alkalinity kinda offsets the PH.

2. Click Here!

3. ccopelin

ccopelin Plankton

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I use purple up. Its specifically for coraline and other calcius algae. Its calcium, strontium, magnesium, and iodine. It will benefit other things in your tank as well. Although most reefkeepers add all these things as individual supplements.

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

The best way to grow coralline algae is to recite "I HATE YOU CORALLINE ALGAE" everyday to your tank...seems to work for me anyway...lol

5. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I'll give you a rock of mine LOL I have a 4 bulb T5-HO lighting system and mine has began to start :)