How do I grow Coralline Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well, I've had algae in practically all colors of the rainbow: green, red, yellow, brown, and other colors, but I've never been able to get coralline algae; any fishkeepers want to tell me their secrets about growing it?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

In most cases, it won't just happen. You'll have to introduce it into your system. You could add a rock that has coraline algae on it, or even just add coraline scrapings & let them spin around in the water flow. But be aware, the more algae you can get, the faster the seeding will occur. Generally, it will take a few months to get the coraline going good, but once you have it you won't be getting rid of it.

4. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Stable parameters: Get the big 3(Alk,Ca,Mg) dialed in, add a piece of live rock with coralline or scrapings from another tank, and let it grow.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

+1 to Whisky. Stable parameters are important.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Time and good calcium, alk and decent lighting. Takes about 4-5 months to start to take hold IMO. You can always try to seed it with some coralline scrapings off someone elses tank or rockwork. Once it gets started you will wish it grew slower.

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well, I have some coralline on a rock, so might as well start getting those conditions right. Some coralline is even on one of my hermit crab shells!

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, just keep the ca/alk/mg at good levels and it will grow. Water changes can accomplish this in systems without sps, clams and a lot of coralline. Never dose without testing first, if you want to go that route.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  10. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Sounds like ur on your way then! Just be sure to keep the Mag, Cal, and Alk at stable levels and it will take off in no time.

1 person likes this.
  11. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

The funny thing is you will get Coralline growing on your power head and hob filter intake first, if so that means your system is ready for it. I had bunch of coralline on my LR when I bought it, but it never survived. Now, after I started to do 15-20% Water changes with NSW it start to grow very fast all over my plastic parts, hope it will spread on my glass and rocks anytime soon :D

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Just need to get some magnesium and I should be on my way!